Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Sophie in Mortal Peril

My girls each have a comfort toy that they've had since they were infants. Jessica's is the head of a rabbit and then the body is an actual little snuggly blanket. Jessica's toy is named Clarice Rahbiet Blankette. (Clarice (because we liked the name, Rahbiet (she's a rabbit) Blankette (she's also a blanket) Katie's toy is named Sophie Bear Blankette. (Same reasons) These two gals are cuddly, velvet, satin pink snuggly, marshmallow, squishy best friends to our girls. Their story is Sophie is married to Stanley Bear Blankette (we also have him but nobody got attached so the girls gave him to me) and they have a Saudi Arabian cousin by marriage living in America named Clarice and Rahbiet was her maiden name. We do these kind of background stories for all of our babies and stuffed animals. Who wants a doll just named dolly that came from ToysRUs and has no soul? Our girls are highly attached to Sophie and Clarice. As in, they have to have them to sleep, they carry them around most of the day and they have to have them in the car wherever we go. My biggest nightmare is somehow losing either Clarice or Sophie because for our family it would be very near to an actual death of a loved one.

Onto my story. So today, we are cruising down the street and Katie says "Mommy, I need some wind". So I crack her window about 4 inches down. We continue down the street. She then says "Mommy, I need my Sophie." Now she says this fifty times at least during every car ride over 2 miles. Usually, I just nod my head and say "uhhuh...ssssooorrry baby girl but I can't get her while the car is moving. I'll get her for ya when we stop". But for some reason today I said "where is she Katie?" and she says "out there!" I look in my rearview mirror and there is Sophie, about 200 feet behind me, on the ground, being plummeted with cars on busier than snot Laguna Blvd. I yell "Katie, Oh NO!" My mom was with me and she says "KATIE, what happened?". We are in actual panic mode because Sophie had actually left the vehicle and was being run over many times by oncoming traffic on a 4 lane busy road. So I whip around, drive like mad, whip around again, hit my hazard lights, block off both lanes of traffic and stop the car. By this time Jessica is crying and Katie is yelling "save her Grammie!!!". My mom jumps out, runs like mad in front of my van, grabs Sophie and dives back into the car. Katie is overcome with happiness and starts hugging and kissing Sophie and whimpering. Jessica can't stop crying for like at least 5 minutes after Sophie got saved because she was so scared for Katie and missing Clarice who she had left at home and taken Shooka the Killer Whale instead. Whew...it was a rough few minutes there. I can't even begin to imagine if I hadn't seen Sophie on the road.

Shooka has a back story too. We'll save that for another time.

No comments: