Monday, May 5, 2008

Idle Hands Are The Devil's Workshop

I've heard this quote my whole life. I used to hate it. I used to think...I LOVE being idle...I can sleep, read, veg out in front of the TV, lay out in the sun, kiss Mike, smell flowers. I love the feeling of not having to be anywhere or do anything. But after this week, I'm beginning to think this quote is really true.

This week was so busy. The kids birthday party, Fairytale town, taking Gramma Bea on errands and to the credit union, visiting with Gramma Houlie, going out for dinner with my folks, gymnastics, spending a full day with Mom, Dad and the girls going looking for a rental house, going shopping, going to Gramma Bea's, turning in rental applications and gathering references, spending a lot of time Friday at the Bouncy place, grocery shopping, finding a dentist, church, planning Mother's day and buying presents, Western Festival parade and carnival along with just my daily activities of wiping bottoms, faces and hands, singing songs, reading books, enforcing rules, cooking meals, picking up, putting thousands of toys away etc etc etc. You get the idea. So I wanted to have one day where we just didn't do anything or have to be anywhere. This is how I discovered that idle hands really are the Devil's workshop. My kids have been possessed by some demon. They have declared mutiny against mommy and are overtaking this mother ship. Since we aren't going and doing anything, they are breaking stuff, dumping whole rolls of TP in my toilet, getting into my make up, refusing to take naps, whining every single sentence they say, climbing on counter tops, riding the vacuum cleaner, grinding banana bread into my carpet, pulling down all the towels from the racks, bringing every toy they own into the family room and hallway and climbing up me to try and sit on my shoulders every 7.2 seconds. Honestly, if the circus came knocking at my door today I would seriously consider selling them. My kids do not do well with idleness. They have not learned the art of the chill. I have some serious training to do.

No comments: