Saturday, May 3, 2008

I don't want a widow and kids to have to deal with...

Mike and I have been looking for a rental house in Elk Grove. We aren't in a hurry since our lease doesn't expire until the end of July. We would buy but we are only guaranteed to be stationed here for 3 more years and we just aren't sure the housing market will rebound by then. There are SO MANY great rental homes on the market because people can't sell that you can pretty much pick exactly what you want. So we found a house this week that met our needs perfectly and was in our price range as well as in the area in which we wanted to live. We would like to move earlier than July because Mike will be going to Iraq for 4 months in the fall and we'd like to be settled and comfortable in the home/ward/neighborhood etc. So we wrote our reasons for wanting to move early in our cover letter along with our applications. The guy wouldn't rent to us because and I quote "the husband is going off to Iraq and if he dies then I have a widow and kids that I'll have to deal with and who knows how that will go." Seriously you guys, when it's your husband going, your heart, the daddy to your girls and your best friend, you are already a little bit scared but keep those thoughts at the very back of your mind so you can function. But when I heard that it literally took the breath out of my lungs and I felt like I had gotten punched in the gut. Obviously, this dude is a major jerk and if I had the time...I would write him a very mean letter but I don't so he'll just have to live life with the kind of karma can of whoop ass I'm sure will be coming to him. I just didn't need that this week.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! I would contact your equal housing office and write a complaint- seriously. How dare he discrinimate against the military!! I would seriously file a complaint.