Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Playing "I Spy" With Grandma Bea

This is my Gramma Bea
She is the kindest, most generous with time and things, most giving and most empathetic person I know. She is also one of the most fun. But when it comes to jokes, both telling them and getting them...she's not the sharpest tool in the shed. For years she has been trying to tell the same joke. "What did one casket say to the other casket? Is that you coughin'?" But in all my years on this planet, she has said every version of this joke possible...except the actual joke. Her most common is, "What did one casket say to the coffin? Is that you casket?" And if you tell a joke, she just doesn't get it. She'll laugh and play it off, but when you ask "gram, what was the joke or why is that joke funny?" She will giggle wildly until she can choke out "I don't know" and by then we are all laughing like twenty times harder than we laughed at the joke.
So imagine the fun I had today playing I Spy in the car with two 3 year olds and my 88 year old Gramma Bea. The kids asked her to play I spy. So first Katie went. Then Jessica. Then Me. Then it was Gramma Bea's turn. She started by saying "I want to buy..." and Katie started laughing and said "NO Gamma Bea...I SPY. You silly Gamma Bea!" So then she started over with "Okay, I will pry (this time we let it go) that building next to our car that is a church." Okay, for those of you that have never played I Spy...that is not how it goes. The object is to slyly spy something then to give a description without saying what the item is. For example...Katie spied the water bottle in the cup holder in the van and said "I spy something that is something we drink and it is wet and in the car" Then we are supposed to guess. Katie got this part of the game. Jessica got it. I got it. Grams? Not so much. Another great one was when she said "I spy (yay she was catching on) a sign way up in the air that spells out U-S-B-A-N-K and we are driving by it" Gram... the girls are 3 and can't spell or read. And you still told us it was the sign we were driving by. And the stuff is supposed to be in the car. Bless my Gramma Bea and I hope to have many more I Spy and other memories of her and my kids. I love her more than just about anyone. But she got her butt kicked by two 3 year olds at I Spy today.

No comments: