Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Ummmm....whatchyaguys doin?

Me? What am I doing you ask? Oh...nothin'. Just sitting around with a broken knee not doing anything. It's sort of making me a little insane given that I have ever so much to actually do. My sweet cousin Rachael agreed to come work for me from 9-2 this week and help with the girls so I can sit on my ever lovin' butt. And poor Rachael. My girls are just running over her with demands requests and questions. And I noticed something that I don't notice when I'm the one being ordered around. My kids repeat the same question over and over until you answer it. Like Katie can get a question out of her mouth 8 times before Rachael even has a chance to answer it. And you know what? It's not cute. It's annoying is what it is. And I can tell they sense that she is reluctant to say "no" to them. So they are tag teaming and steam rolling her into doing what they want. We want to go to the park, we want a bath, we want a Popsicle, we want to play outside, we want our shoes on, we want our shoes off, we want to paint, we want to color, we aren't done painting, let us paint more, LET US PAINT MORE. ugh. They are driving me crazy and I'm just having to listen to it. I've tried several times to correct the girls and tell them they need to obey Rachael and that she's in charge and I've told Rachael it's okay for her to say "no", or "no way" or "HELL no" or tie them to a chair and stick in a movie. just JOKING. It would not be okay for them to watch a movie, kids watch way too much t.v. these days. ha ha.

As for me, I'm deep into the latest FBI thriller by Catherine Coulter. She has a series that centers around 2 FBI agents named Agent Savich and Agent Sherlock and they fight crime around the country and world on various cases. Of course, the series didn't start out with them married. I've read every single one of the books in the series in order so it's been fun to see the characters develop and all the side characters stories and stuff. Plus the action in the books is awesome and her writing is great and funny and sarcastic and really easy to read. This is the 12th book in the series. If you are going to start from the beginning and I HIGHLY recommend that you do...go to your local Borders or Barnes & Noble and buy The Cove (1996) and The Maze (1997) or a book published in 2006 called The Beginning that has both of those books in one volume. The writer's name is Catherine Coulter. You won't be sorry. There's a lot of mystery solving, a little romance, a little espionage, kidnapping, intrigue and side characters that come and go along the way. For those of you that are language/sex/violence sensitive I would rate these books as PG 13 but not R. But I may be a little bit more liberal than you so if you are like one of my friends and cross out bad words in your books (don't get me started on art, censorship, integrity of the whole etc.) then these might not be for you. But if you normally read contemporary fiction like Clancy, Grisham, Deville, Conroy, Creighton etc. you'll find these tame in comparison.

Let's see...what else have I been doing? Oh, my grammie Bea is back from Portland. Remember she fell while she was there? And she had to stay? Well now she's back and she's staying at my moms and will be following up with her primary doctor and a physical therapist. We are hoping her concussion doesn't net her any long term brain problems and that she can rehab her shoulder so it doesn't give her problems in the future. She was dizzy when she woke up this morning though which makes me nervous. I feel so badly for her. Old people + falls = bad stuff. I really hope she'll be okay. My Aunt Lori and Uncle Terry took super good care of her and she was so thankful for them and I'm so thankful for them and I feel like a useless sack of garbage because I can't do anything for her but stuff I can do on the telephone. The girls were so happy to see her last night though and they made her smile so I'll take credit for them.

What else? Oh, does anyone have any good dinner ideas that are easy? I can't really cook unless I stand on one leg. I had Mike do an all BBQ meal of chicken, corn & zucchini and we've been doing a lot of nugget's ready to eat stuff but we are getting pretty sick of take out. I think I'll have my mom assemble a Shepherd's Pie and a Lasagna for me so we can heat those up. I have mostly what I need for both, just need a few extra things from the store and that would give us several days of being able to warm stuff up that the girls and I and Mike like. Any other ideas out there would be great. Like if you know of any good frozen entree sort of stuff that is good.

I think that's about it. My leg hurts super badly. I wish it was not broken a lot. The idea of sitting still is a lot better than actually doing it. FYI for anyone out there thinking about slipping on a blueberry.

2 comments:

Jody Carson said...

Okay, you guys would like my super easy Chicken Parmesan meal. In a 9"x13" pan spread spaghetti sauce to coat the bottom. Place 6 breaded chicken patties on top of the sauce and place 6 slices of provolone cheese over each patty and then cover the whole thing with half of your favorite jar of spaghetti sauce (We like Ragu Super Chunky Mushroom.) Sprinkle parmesan cheese over the whole thing. Cooking temperature is whatever it says it is on the package for the frozen patties. Cook as long as it takes for the provolone cheese to melt. Tom had a similar dish like this at The Macaroni Grill, and he still liked mine better. It's just a thought. You might be chickened-out, but my kids LOVE this dish. And I love that it is SO easy to make and it doesn't taste like a chicken patty by the time the whole thing is cooked. Good luck!

Kori said...

Funny story about a blueberry. Our friends for the 4th of July last year had a BBQ and Shelly had made these parfaits with blueberries and strwberries in them. She was trying to be smart and made them ahead of time and put them in the freezerbecause they had ice cream in them, not thinking about the fruit actually freezing and being hard as a rock. So their friends dad, old guy too, choked on one of the blueberries. He was laughing because he said, 'I thought blueberries came from Maine and not Alaska." haha Well he ended up dying a month later and poor Shelly gets teased that she killed him with a blueberry...