Monday, September 29, 2008

Small Moments

If you have time to read one post this week - read this one: http://www.zenmoments.org/the-cab-ride-ill-never-forget/ . It reminded me of the sacredness that can exist in being of service to another and the way heaven opens sometimes just a smidgen so we can truly see for one moment what we all mean to each other.

My life is filled right now with small moments. My kids have been feeling crummy with colds so I've spent a lot of time snuggled in my bed with books, videos, tickling backs and tummies, running my fingers through 3 year old hair and singing softly little songs. Yesterday, I took a nap with Jessica. When she woke up she told me that it was my favorite part of the day. When she wakes up from her nap and I get to hold her. So we held, and hugged and told each other how much we loved each other and our family. Today, I took a nap with Katie. Before she drifted to sleep we kissed and hugged and told each other that we thought we were a good mama/daughter and how happy we are. She then stroked my hair like I do to her as I drifted off to sleep. I awoke before her and there was my first born and I...in the exact same position as when we drifted off to sleep. Me snuggled into her neck and her arms around me with one hand in my hair. Exactly the opposite of how we have fallen asleep a million times. Today, I did something for them that seemed to bring them more happiness than any cool game, video, outing or anything I've done since Mike left. I made them PB&J and chocolate milk. This is their special thing they eat with their Dad every Saturday for lunch. They were so excited. Jessica said "thank you mama. thank you SO SO much." I guess they were missing the comfort of this simple lunch and the happy memory they have of their Dad eating it with them.

Life is full of small moments. If you look around - it seems like life is about BIG moments like running for President, starring in a movie, going to war, fancy cars, vacations, clothes. But it's not. Life unfolds itself in quiet, simple and very small ways and for me at least... I will remember these moments when my baby who isn't a baby anymore snuggled into me and told me I was her friend. It doesn't get any better than that.

1 comment:

Jody Carson said...

Peace on earth...........for a little while at least. It is nice when you can stop and get a snuggle, some loves and a nap.