Thursday, September 4, 2008

Decision 08

Most of my conservative Republican family members are also Christians. I too, am a Christian. How is it then that there are so many differences in what we all believe? I think a lot of people out there who really want to help people, not give them a free ride are labeled as liberals because they believe government should provide and regulate some basic human rights. I am thankful that I grew up in middle class white America but that's just not how everyone grew up. I supervised a staff of 250 employees that pulled from mostly inner city Washington DC and let me tell you, these people are too busy surviving to worry about making sure their kids are applying to the right colleges. I just want to educate people who didn't grow up as lucky as me and I want to throw a lifeline to those who are unable to help themselves and if that means you take more of my paycheck, help yourself. I think my Republican friends and family members are concerned that the money we already give is enough and is just mismanaged so we should manage it better and what the government gets would be enough. Yet they oppose watchdog groups that would hold the government accountable as to how they spend our money because that would mean bigger government. I could go on and on and on and on and on about why I think both parties have lost their way...but in the end I have to choose. Neither party is perfect. But I have to align with the party who most represents the ideals that I believe in so strongly of feeding the poor, clothing the naked, sheltering the abused, standing for the oppressed and fostering a relationship of diplomacy and peace throughout the world. Yes, yes, I know there are problems with each candidate. We could pick them apart until November of 2027. One side can scream taxes, taxes, taxes, economy, the right to buy any gun for no purpose and house them loaded in my freezer and one side can shout healthcare, education, civil rights, end the war and make sure we give a hand out to every freeloader that crosses our boarders whether legally or un. But we all have to choose and November is coming quickly.

I have always found Christ's Sermon on the Mount found in the New Testament in Matthew to be a good guide to what should be important and how we should try to pattern our lives. I love the Beattitudes and the types of issues that Christ chooses to speak about. It seems as though when I read these passages of scripture, that the same problems must have faced the people back then as they do now, because the counsel that the Savior gives seems so topical for our day. I encourage you to read the Sermon on the Mount even if it doesn't help you make up your mind about who to vote for. It is rockin' scripture and my favorite that exists. So read it for me if for no other reason. You'll be glad you did.

1 comment:

kaybee said...

well it's your liberal, bleeding heart friend since birth....i loved this post. i love democracy!!!