Sunday, February 15, 2009

SICK-ening sweet Valentines Day

Mike came home from work sick on Friday. Mike never comes home from work sick. One time during residency, he had to have IV fluids because he was so sick and he still made his rounds and saw his patients. He never calls out sick. When he came home on Friday, I didn't quite know what to do with the pile of husband who was shivering and had the chills and a fever and wanted to go to bed and was in a bad mood. So I dispatched him to bed under the delusion that he would still be taking the girls to the Lowe's Build and Grow workshop on Saturday morning. But then Jessica woke up at 5am sobbing telling us her nose hurt and that she was hot. Make that 104 degrees hot. Katie and I continued to make our Valentines Day preparations. We were switching the party from our house to my mom and dads. Then about noon, Katie got a fever. Mike was still shivering and whacked out. I called my Mom who was cleaning dungeness crab and preparing for our fun valentines day party. I told her I'd take my own car for the party so I could get back to Mike right away because he was really sick. She told me that they would bring our crab and bread to us and that I should stay home and take care of my family. I secretly gloated a little bit because for ONCE, people other than myself were sick and needed my care and help. I felt fine. I didn't rejoice in their pain just found it wonderful that I was not the one ruining all the plans. So my parents headed to Grandma Houlie's with their crab and salad and bread and they brought over cleaned and beautiful crab to our house. I waited until my little family awoke from their very long three hour nap. I cooked the crab, buttered the bread and prepared for a seafood feast. We ate until we were bursting. Crab in hot melted butter that was just beginning to brown. Fresh as can be crusty sourdough bread and green beans. Yummmoh. We ate and ate and ate. We cracked crab for the first 30 minutes just for the girls until they had enough to tie them over. They can eat crab faster than we can crack it. Once they started to slow down we began shoving it into our faces and making happy noises.

But then this morning I woke up with a 103 degree fever and feeling HORRIBLE. I should not have gloated or even thought for one second that I was not going to get sick. The Gods of Kharma sent me a loud and clear message...."wanna bet"? So now I am sick. So so sick. And my family is getting better.

But alas, all was not lost. Precious hand made Valentines were made by the girls for all those they love. They worked very hard on them and were very happy and proud to present them to loved ones. They were so happy with their Valentines bags of treats from school and they wore their candy and hearts night gowns that twirl all weekend. For them, they had a wonderful Valentines Day full of snuggles and time with their Dad and Me. We sang loving songs to each other and took turns telling each other all our favorite things about each other.

The thing I feel the worst about is my parents. They cleaned twelve dungeness crabs, they made a beautiful salad, they got dessert and bread and then had to cart it over to my Grandmas and didn't even get to see the girls. They presented them with presents of strawberry shortcake socks, new hooded towels and cute spring dresses. They worked and worked and worked for nothing. I apologized to them many times and my Dad kindly replied "it's okay, we'll get even." To my parents....I owe you guys. I promise not to plan anymore parties and I promise not to plan any more celebrations until I can get my act together. But in my defense...Mike never ever ever gets sick. So who could have seen that coming? Not me.

In any case, pinkalicious cupcakes were made for school, valentines were taken for school, crab and wonderful food was devoured, love songs were sung and it was a nice family time. Just different. Very un-glamorous. But loving just the same. Hope you had a wonderful v-day.

No comments: