Monday, February 9, 2009

Dear Katie and Jessica


Dear Girls,


It's been a long while since I've written you a letter and I thought today would be a good day. We spent this Monday like we spend most Mondays. We snuggled in bed and watched cartoons this morning, we had cereal at the big table together, you cleaned your play room while I picked up the house to get ready for little Luz to come tomorrow and clean. We read some books, you guys played Leapsters, you took naps in separate rooms. You helped me make dinner by sprinkling garlic salt and mashing potatoes. While the Shepherd's pie was in the oven, we took baths, had spa time and got you dressed in pajama salad which you both requested. While you were naked and the bath was filling, you enjoyed a rousing game of bum tag. You both think you are hilarious. Daddy and I are in total agreement with you. We think you are the two funniest people we have ever known.


Right now, you both are really into preschool, pretend games that you make up and spending time with your Daddy. Jessica, you are particularly nervous that Daddy will have to go away again. Daddy leaves you and Katie a handwritten note taped on our door every morning before he leaves for work letting you know that he is at work close by our house and that he'll be home when it gets dark and that you guys will play then. Katie, you don't care about these notes but they seem to really work to reassure Jessica. Both of you love your Leapster video learning games. Before I became you Mom I promised myself I would never buy video games for my kids. But then I had you guys and I found I needed some time during the day to do important things like read my People magazine, post on my blog, shop online etc. So now we are all in love with your Leapster games. Your favorite games are I Spy and Ratatouille. It's amazing to watch you play these games. Somehow, with no help from me, you have learned to spell, read, do math, learn about science and your vocabulary has expanded amazingly. In addition to Leapsters, you both are obsessed with Guitar Hero. You and Daddy play it every night when he gets home. You guys each take a color and Dad strums the guitar. Everything that you think is cool is automatically a "rock star".


You make up the most amazing games to play with each other. I have no idea why you have an entire room with toys in it. All you guys want to do is play with blankets and pillows and make forts and pretend you are going to a wedding, on a soccer team, hiding from Monsters, saving animals in trouble and wrestling and chasing each other all over the house. You love to take pillows and make swimming pools that you can jump into or paths or bridges. Most of your day is spent playing some sort of pretend game together. When the weather is good, you love riding your trikes in our culdesac and going to the moo cow park with your friend mooey. You love your Grandparents and you make up cheers all the time about how you love your family. Katie, you especially like to make up songs and cheers. Both of you love to draw. Grandpa Meeker brings you paper from work that is from the trash cans and you guys draw and color on one side. You have filled up gigantic bins full of your drawings. Your favorite thing to draw is our family or to have me draw a Christmas tree and then you draw all the ornaments, presents and top.


Right now, it's 8:30 and you guys are playing Hungry Hippo with your Dad. It's so much fun for me to watch you guys and Dad play. I know you probably wonder why I don't jump in and insist that I play too. Sometimes I play with you guys, but mostly when Daddy gets home from work, I let you guys have him to yourselves. You'll understand why I did this if you are ever lucky enough to have daughters. You have me to yourselves all day. And it's important time. But it's also important that you build a relationship with Daddy that is separate from me. I love the time we play together as a family when all four of us are together. These are my favorite times that I have in my life. But I especially love watching you and how much fun you have with your Dad. You both are still on cloud 9 that he has come home. So am I.


Tonight, you will make your lines, get a treat and we'll prepare for the bedtime routine. Your bedtime consists of going potty, doing the picking game, singing three songs, each person saying a prayer, drinks of water, a wind up music thingy being turned on that was on your mobile when you were babies in your crib and that you can't go to bed without, the light of the laundry room being left on and several attempts by Katie to stall the process as long as she can. Every night, after you are tucked in, we hear you guys talking and laughing. You sometimes talk for a long time. As long as you stay quiet and stay in bed, we let you have this precious time together. I love listening at your door to you guys talking about all sorts of things from preschool, to Dora the Explorer to how much you love each other. If we let you go too long, inevitably, the volume will increase and you will start to jump on your beds and throw stuffed animals back and forth into each others beds. I never tell you this, but I love when you do this too. I know I come in all stern faced and strict and tell you that you have to go to sleep, but I enjoy your late night fun.


Okay, right now, you both and Dad have on your Wonderpet capes. Daddy just called my cell phone so it would ring. You guys ran into answer it with him. A puppy was in trouble. You guys rode in an imaginary fly boat to save the upside down puppy. It's so funny to watch you guys because you are so excited! You are each doing your parts to the WonderPets with Dad being Linny the Guinea Pig, Katie being Tuck the Turtle and Jessica being Ming Ming the Duck. I think of all the things you guys play, this is your favorite. I'm looking forward to your WonderPet birthday party this year. I'll let you wear your capes. It will only be much later that you will be upset with me for letting you wear them. But if you can't think you are a Super Hero when you are three years old, when can you?


I love you both more than you will ever know. I am really having fun with you guys each and every day. You are fun and happy girls. I hope you'll think we gave you a good childhood. There's never been anything more important to either me or Dad. You won't understand this either until you become a parent. It sometimes hurts to love you so much. But in a great way.


Have fun my girls. I will be watching you and having as much fun as you are. Even if I have to act like I am enforcing the rules.


Love and Kisses,

Mama

No comments: