Thursday, August 7, 2008

OFFICIAL Snack Mom

Yipeeee! Tomorrow is my first day of making snacks for preschool. I feel like a REAL Mom. Okay, attention all Moms out there! Here's what I made and why I chose it. I need YOU GUYS to leave me comments on whether or not I hit or missed and any great sure fire snack ideas that I can use. Because I have 2 kids in the class I have to do snacks twice/every other month and then bring supplies twice/every other month. So a total of 2 things per month whether they be snacks or supplies. So next month...no snacks.

Okay, I'm sure you get the drill. You've probably done it a million times and want me to PLEASE get on with it already.

Snack Menu for tomorrow:

Breton multi-grain crackers with a medium cheddar cheese slice cut into a star shape. (I chose the Breton MG because they are large in size, round in shape and have a delicate, flaky, buttery texture/taste while maintaining their 100% whole grain goodness. They are salty which will pair well with the creaminess and nuttiness of the cheddar. I think it presents an overall good balance of salty, crunch, flaky, creamy and nutty. There will be two crackers and two slices of cheese per child.)

Ants on Logs - fresh crisp celery filled with peanut butter and topped with four raisins (the ants). (The dried raisins give a chewy texture to the snap of the celery and the cream of the PB. It is surprisingly a very sophisticated texture balance, is visually appealing to children due to the idea of eating pretend ants. None of the flavors compete with the cheese/cracker appetizer -I mean snack.

Beverage - Normally when serving cheese, you would tend to go with a red. However, the light crispness of the celery, the dried fruit and the flaky buttery aspects of the Breton have led me to decide on a white....JUICE THAT IS. We are going with the standard box juice of 100% apple.

So what do you guys think? Got any ideas???? I need to learn how to make individual pizzas.

4 comments:

sacramentostakeclerk said...

I'm not sure that I have any ideas that can compete with the ones you've got so far. You are a much more ambitious snack mom than I am!

Your descriptions, however, really make me hungry.

Kori said...

I would expect nothing less from you and I am also now hungry for a little snacky-poo! I LOVE ant's on a log! Pampered Chef has that cute little sandwich cutter...looks like those frozen pb&j "Uncrustables". That could also be a fun one or the bread tubes you could do in various shapes. I do not sell Pampered Chef but there are a few things that I do love from them. I do not have the little sandwich cutter thing or I would let you borrow it. Jell-O Jigglers would be a fun idea. I know that there is no nutritional value to them, but they are yummy and fun! Use a cookie sheet and then use various cookie cutters for cool shapes. Of course, kids love dip with little veggies or even little fruit kabobs with a yogurt dip.

Anne said...

Oh. My. Gosh. You were joking, right? I don't know if we can be friends now. I'm seriously a little intimidated. Ok, a lot. Star shaped cheese? Woa. They are three year year olds, no?

(Can I ask if you have any leftovers?)

Jody Carson said...

Okay, I'm pretty sure that these snack ideas of mine are not the most nutritious food that you could ever serve for a snack, but kids sure seem to like them. I love peanut butter play dough. It's fun to play with and then you get to eat it! I'm also a fan of pop-corn balls. You can use kool-aide to color and flavor them. I went to a birthday party once where they had little individual cups of "dirt." It had crushed Oreos that had a gummy worm on top of the dirt and chocolate pudding underneath the oreo crumbs in a little pot. You can also make little burgers using Nilla waffers as the bun and a "grasshopper" Kebler cookie as the burger. You can experiment with different colors of fruit roll-ups for the cheese and lettuce etc... Mini potato sticks are the "fries." Like I said, not so nutritious, but they are Oh-SO fun! Good luck, and have fun! Knowing you your next snack will be fruit kaboobs........ ;)