Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Happy Birthday Shout Out To Steve!!!


I was not born with siblings. Nor did my parents crank out any after I was born. BUT, one of my favorite things about Mike is that he came with 5 younger brothers. I was 17 when I started sniffing around the Meeker house. Mike's baby brother Steve was 3. That was 19 years ago. Steve and I got to be friends because he was a ticklish 3 year old and I was a teenage girl with a pony tail and he liked to flick my pony tail up and down. He was a shy little guy with this huge bright light inside of him that would shine like the sun every time he smiled or laughed. Steve was 3 when Mike moved went off to college. It makes me happy that Steve has as many memories of time with me as a sister as he does with Mike as a brother. He doesn't remember a time when I wasn't around. All the other boys grew up as the Meeker boys who had no sisters. But Steve has always had one...me.

I'm not sure what sort of emotions I would feel toward my own siblings if I had them. But I can't imagine they would be stronger or full of more love than those I have for Steve. One of my biggest fears in life is that some twippy chick is going to get her talons in him so I find myself fiercely protective over him. Watch out girls. It's not because I don't think there are any nice girls out there - I just want him to be happy and have someone who is careful with his heart. Steve is one of the best people I know. He is funny, kind, gentle, friendly, sensitive, prompt, silly, smart and cool. The fact that he is 23 today seems next to impossible to me. At 23, I had been married for 2 years and felt like a full fledged adult. Steve doesn't seem old enough to walk himself to school yet. I guess he'll always be our baby brother even though he's grown into a morally sound genuinely good man.

I love you Steve. Happy Birthday to you today!!!!

No comments: