Saturday, April 19, 2008

Friday Confessions #5 (really it's #7) but who's counting?

Here I am on Saturday doing Friday confessions. So let's just get to it shall we?

  • I don't do my confessions on time. I think Friday is a bad day for me to confess. I'm feeling all too jubilant and celebratory (there's a 50 cent word). Mike will be home from work shortly and we celebrate a weekly ritual of "Nobody Cooks On Fridays" meaning that we eat out every Friday so nobody has to cook. This goes way back to childhood where my parents and I would go out to eat on Friday nights. In college this meant pizza or subway, in our more prosperous years it meant some snazzy great restaurant in DC that served perfect calamari or perfect caprese salad with real buffalo mozzarella or perfect schezuan beef or perfect blackened prime rib and did NOT serve high chairs mac n cheese, crayons or a kids menu. Now, it means a family type joint that has high chairs, crayons etc. and some sort of entree that comes out of the kitchen in such a large portion it could feed a family of six. Anyway, I digress. I don't feel like confessing on Fridays. But it is the day you are supposed to confess so I will try and do better.
  • I totally criticized Kate of "Jon & Kate Plus 8" the other night. In case you live on Mars, Jon & Kate Plus 8 is a reality TV show on TLC that follows this great couple who went through infertility and had twin girls. Then, they tried for "one" more and got sextuplets (6) babies. So now, they're twins are 7 and the babies are about 6 months older than my girls. I love Kate and I love Jon because they are real and they are flawed and this show makes me feel loads better about my life, my laundry, my house...my load actually. It lightens my load for 30 minutes each week where I get to watch Kate and Jon try and get through the challenges of parenting 8 kids, 6 of whom are the same age as my 2. I often feel at the end of my rope and when the dishes pile up and the laundry etc etc. I think of Kate in her home in Pennsylvania and I feel better. In the last episode she freaked out because her sister in law Jodi gave the sextuplets gum and they got it all over their clothes. Collin (one of the kids) got it on his bear and Kate was threatening to throw away his bear while he cried at her feet because in her words "i can't wash him anymore because the gum will get on everything in the dryer." She proceeded to throw away the socks, pants and shirts that the gum was on all the while being very critical of her sister in law who had agreed to watch the kids in the first place, for FREE while Jon and Kate took one of the twins out for a "special" day. I thought while watching...geez Kate, chill, it's just gum. It's not worth Collin losing his bear. Come ON Kate, get a grip. I feel badly about this because Kate has it really rough. Nobody in this world is in a position to judge what it must be like to have 8 kids in 2 births and be a full time mom with very little outside help and she should be entitled to lose it every once in awhile. So, Kate, I'm sorry I judged you.
  • My kids were sick this week. So was I. So was Mike. I probably yelled too much when I was achy and wanted to just crawl into a hole and sleep but had to chage poopy pants and clean up vomit. I probably wasn't super loving to my husband who didn't get as sick as the rest of us but still had to go to work. I let my kids watch way too much tv because frankly, I just didn't have it in me to play choo choo train, or I spy, or hide the chip clip. I couldn't get up the energy to make a fort or snacks or chocolate milk. So to my kids, my husband I'm sorry.
  • I'm sorry to all the people I say I'll call then don't. I'm sorry for broken appointments, cancelled play dates, unreturned calls and my hermit crab tendencies. They are worse sometimes than others. This week, they were worse.
  • I feel secretly glad the kids birthday party got moved to next Saturday. Even if they were well enough by today (which they aren't), I would not have been able to pull a party together.

No comments: