Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Andrew Lloyd Weber Night On American Idol

Did you know I am a huge Broadway fan? When I was 10 years old my parents took me to San Francisco to see the late Richard Burton play King Arthur in Camelot. I was a gonner from that point on. I played the Camelot record over and over. I then got to go see Annie and was convinced it was my mission in life to play Piper in some future Annie production. I belted out Hard Knock Life and Tomorrow in the shower, on my way to school and in my room while other girls were obsessed with a certain Material Girl. Not that Madonna isn't rad and totally awesome fer sure...but I was secretly in my room all alone singing Don't Cry For Me Argentinia and It's May. I was lucky enough to have parents that wanted to expose me to all sorts of musical theatre and got to see: Camelot, Annie, Peter Pan, Wizard of Oz and Evita all in big huge productions as well as many other local productions. I had a great boyfriend in high school that took me to see the ballet production of Romeo and Juliet and the Nutcracker. As an adult I have gotten to see Les Mis twice on Broadway, Phantom twice once on Broadway and Wicked on Broadway and in Chicago. I have also gotten to see Beauty and The Beast and Rent. I love movie musicals too and wanted to be Maria from West Side Story so badly when I was like 16 and my parents didn't want me to date Robert Contreras. I love Moulin Rouge, Evita the movie, Hairspray, all Disney movies and musicals, my Fair Lady, Oklahoma, Annie Get Your Gun and I could go on and on.

Anyhoo, this past week's American Idol which featured the music of Andrew Lloyd Weber was hands down by far my favorite episode of American Idol ever. David Archeleta's pop version of Think of Me had me standing up alone in my living room giving him a standing ovation. Brooke's version of You Must Love Me brought me to tears even though she had to start over. David Cook's Music of the Night made me wonder out loud (again to myself) where the chubby guy with the bad rocker comb over went and who the heck was this hot, soulful brown eyed dream boat??? That song is so seductive and ethereal and is one of the only moments I have cried so hard during a Broadway musical that I literally could not see the stage.

I don't know about you but I really love Broadway. It is my secret dream and wish in life to play Elphaba or Eva Perone or Guinevere in an actual production. I would only want to do it for one night and my voice would be perfect and people would cry and it would be magical. I really think musical theatre is magical. I think Broadway should let me do it. Come on Broadway...let's give up one night for the Aimster!

Luckily my parents and husband while they have joined in and supported my enthusiasm for these songs and my singing them all the time...they have encouraged me to support Broadway...as an AUDIENCE member and have not encouraged my delusions of stardom because they know like I know secretly deep down in places I don't talk about at parties that I cannot carry a tune in a bucket. But don't cry for me blog reader...the truth is it's never gonna happen. The shower is now and forever will remain my stage. And they LOVE me in the shower!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with you- David Cook is yummilicious. I have developed quite a crush on him. His Music of the Night really gave me goosebumps. He's so dreamy....