Tuesday, March 3, 2009

A typical day in parenthood...

I think every parent has had this day. None the less, it felt big, like as in monumental you know? For those of you staying up late to watch American Idol that you recorded earlier and don't have kids, enjoy it man, that's all I have to say. You'll have this day soon enough. For those of you watching your recorded American Idol in the middle of the night because your baby is up and needs to be fed and it's the only time you have to watch, enjoy this time in your life because babies grow up so fast. Oh who am I kidding? Your life sucks. Let's move on. For those of you with toddlers to grade schoolers and watched American Idol along side your kids who were putting off bedtime for as long as they could, you will remember experiencing the day I had today like it was yesterday and for some of you it was. For those of you with teenagers who watched American Idol in their room because they think you are lame, I'm sorry. For those of you with kids grown and gone and watched American Idol when it was on and then complained that it was on so late and promptly went to bed, you'll look upon my day with nostalgia. And for everyone else, just enjoy my story.

Today, the girls visited the library for the first time. We had a preschool field trip and they were given a lesson in library responsibility regarding such matters as how to treat books respectfully, return them on time and then were read a story by an amazing children's librarian. After this was over, the other kids scattered while their parents stood in line to apply for library cards or left because they have no intention of ever returning. But not us. The three of us got in line. I explained that they would be getting their OWN library card. It would not be MY library card. I already have my own. But they would be getting their own card. They were half nervous/half excited as we stood in line waiting for the librarian in charge of new cards to call us forward. No joke you guys, she was in her sixties, had a salt and pepper bob hair style, had half sized wire reading glasses attached by a gold chain around her neck. Her LAVENDER (you can't make this stuff up) cardigan was open and paired with a light gray shirt and a charcoal gray librarian style skirt. I thought to myself..."if the girls actually remember this day, they will always have the perfect image of the perfect librarian." She was even sort of stern and rude.

She called us forward and Jessica and Katie had to tell her they wanted a library card. They had their permission slips signed and ready for her. She asked me for a piece of mail that would verify our mailing address since my drivers license was out of state due to the military. I told the girls in advance that they would need to PROVE they lived where they did so they had to bring a piece of mail they had received with them to the library. They brought the envelopes that contained their Valentine cards sent by their Grandparents. They had their names on them, they were addressed to our current address and the librarian checked them over, gave me a smirk and told the girls that their proof of address and library card application was approved. She then printed out their cards and presented each girl with a black sharpie pen and had them "sign" their name on the back of the card. They only had "sign" their first names because as Jessica explained "I only know how to write Jessica!" They PROUDLY took their new library cards, selected two books each and then we checked them out. When their cards were swiped and a brand new librarian some how magically knew Katie's name (because it was in the computer) they decided right then and there that the library was their favorite place they've ever been. Then they got to take home their new books. And their heads spun around and we had to read three of the five books TONIGHT. And I was asked no less than seven times if we could please go back tomorrow?

And seriously you guys, the books they chose could not have made me happier. Katie chose Babar the Elephant books because hello? Elephants. Jessica chose Are You My Mother? by Dr. Seuss AND The Bernstein Bears Get a Kitten. Classics! Even if they DON'T remember this day, I will remember it forever. I clocked many hours in the local library as a kid. It was where I went to write stories and visit all the exotic and magical places books were able to take me. I checked out my Judy Blume books with regularity and plagiarized the encyclopedias for my report on a U.S President. The library is truly an AMAZING place and I was so happy to share that with the girls today. If you ask them to show you their library card, you will earn their loyalty and adoration FOREVER. Because as they are happy to tell you "I PROVED myself at the library and I am very responsibility because I am a library expert!"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think its so awesome that they love the library!! I have to take Nathan more often. Your girls have awesome taste in books!!! Perhaps they'll be fellow English majors!

Travis and Marie said...

love love the library...my kids to too...ours is small but has a great kiddie area that my kids love to play and read at...it's a great fun time to go...what a good story...about the magic librarian who knew your girl's names. :)