Saturday, March 7, 2009

Again With The Inappropriate Rap Songs...

You might recall about a week ago when we gave the girls a lesson on the lyrics to the rap song "I Like Big Butts"...on accident. We obviously did not set out to teach them the line "I want a sister I can't resist her, red beans and rice didn't miss her." But alas, we did. We sinned. We repented. We went forth vowing to sin no more.

Then, this past week, the girls checked out a book from the library about the founding fathers of our country. They have learned about George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin, John Hancock but their all time favorite has been Paul Revere because he had a big mouth his whole life and people were always telling him to sshhh...but then one day he saved a bunch of people by yelling "The British Are Coming".

So tonight, the girls and I were talking about Paul Revere and how awesome he was because he was brave. Mike then decided to chime in to our conversation. "Hey Jessica", he said seriously, "I had a horsey named Paul Revere. It was just me and my horsey and a quart of beer." I started laughing. I said, "Daddy means root beer girls." Then Mike, ignoring my glare and obvious displeasure said "Girls Daddy and his horsey one day were riding across the land, kicking up sand, Sheriff's posse on my tail cuz I'm in demand." Then I said to Mike "Stop", but I was cracking up. So he googled the rest of the lyrics to Paul Revere by the Beastie Boys and we got up and rapped for the girls with arm throwing and hip hop moves included. The words are at best inappropriate and at worst disgusting and dirty.

I am worried this is becoming a problem. What if teaching our kids inappropriate rap lyrics becomes an addiction and all of a sudden they are asked by their kindergarten teacher to tell the class the difference between boys and girls and Jessica busts out with "fly girls are the girls who want you to see their name, their game and their identity." ? Or what if we have a house fire someday and instead of running out of the house Katie just jumps on her bed yelling "the roof, the roof, the roof is on fire. We don't need no water let the mother-bleep-er burn!"? I'm telling you this could become a rapid problem. What happened to twinkle twinkle little star?

Peace Out -Word to Your Mother

2 comments:

Kori said...

When Rachel was about 4, she use to watch the movie GREASE every day. I knew she didn't understand most of it, but she liked dancing to the songs. Well one day as she was singing, I came out from the kitchen just in time to see her 'mooning' the TV during the dance off at the high school. It of course was during Blue Moon when the greasers did it.

We put Grease away for a while...

Travis and Marie said...

are you kidding? You are trying to teach them right? that's about all you can do, my kid's favorite song right now is "Low" -by Flo Rida or whatever he/it is....the one where "she hits the floor, next thing you know, she gets low, low, low low etc. Sad thing is Travis and I like it too...we are horrid parents.