Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Mrs. Braggy Bragerson

I try to keep the bragging about my kids to a minimum on this blog. I love when parents celebrate their children but it can get over the top quickly so I try to keep the sickening cute moments and my amazement that I was chosen to be these girls' mother on the QT. But you know what? My absolute joy in being their mother overwhelms me sometimes and that joy just comes bubbling out in what for me is sincere joy but for others might be the cause of the upchuck of their lunch.

So we went to Grandma Houlie's for dinner. The girls were appreciative, loving, ate well and even apologized that we were late. Then, we jotted over to Grandma Bea's who returned today from Oregon with Auntie Lori and who the girls and I missed terribly so we just had to go over there with colorful pictures drawn for each of them.

Then they drank a bunch of milk on the way home. Mike had to go to a pharmaceutical sponsored dinner on treatment of advanced migraines so he was not with us this weekend. We got home after 9:45 and Mike was long asleep because he has been getting to work every morning at 5:30 a.m. so he's exhausted. ANYWAY...we do this thing every night as part of our bedtime ritual called the picking game. The girls line up all their babies/stuffed animals and they get to pick 6 each to sleep with each night. Jessica was really tired and asked Katie if she could get to sleep with Katie's "Hello Kitty" doll tonight because Jessica lost hers. Katie obviously did not want to give up Hello Kitty tonight. But she told Jessica that she would let her have Hello Kitty if Jessica would let Katie sleep with Jessica's favorite stuffed animal zebra. Jessica sadly but immediately handed over the zebra to Katie. As soon as Katie was done with her six picks which included no Hello Kitty but did include Jessica's zebra, it was Jessica's turn to start. Jessica picked Hello Kitty first and gave Katie and hug and a kiss and said "thank you Katie so much for Hello Kitty tonight". And then Katie all of a sudden asked me if it would be okay if she gave Jessica back her favorite zebra so she could have both Hello Kitty and the zebra and that she would be happy to just sleep with five babies tonight. I told her that I thought that was a very nice thing to do and made me very happy. She went over and gently placed the zebra in Jessica's surprised arms, and gave her sister an enthusiastic hug and kiss and told her that she loved her so much and that she knew Jessica would need both Hello Kitty and her zebra tonight because she might be feeling a little sad. Jessica started to cry and told Katie "thank you so so so much Katie. I am feeling a little bit sad because I didn't get to play or see Daddy tonight and I need all my friends with me. But the most important friend I have with me is you sissy. I could never ever make it without you." This was all said through tears that she was trying so hard to hold back. They hugged again and Katie happily bounced into her bed one stuffed animal down but feeling totally awesome and Jessica happily picked the rest of her babies and got into her bed. Then, (in case I wasn't crying hard enough by now) they each thanked God for each other in their prayers. Katie said "thank thee for my sissy who I love so much and please help her to not be sad." And then Jessica said "thank thee for Katie who gave me her Hello Kitty and gave me back my zebra which made me so so so happy."

Seriously, I don't think I've ever had a better moment in my life. All I wanted as a kid was to have a sibling. People would tell me that if I had one that all we would do is fight and I'd wish I was an only child. And I can remember getting really upset when people said this. I remember thinking and feeling that if I had a brother or sister that I would do anything to be their best friend and we would never fight and just love each other and giggle and play and I would tell them every day how much I loved them. Well, it wasn't in the cards for me to have my own sibling. But now, I have these girls who have that exact relationship that I always dreamed of having.

I'm sorry if this made you want to vomit. I just wanted a place to go back and read about how great it was once upon a time if when they turn 12 they get all snarky with each other and fight like sisters most often do. I will read this post in those times and it will help me keep the hope that they will return to this sort of friendship again someday.

Nothing is more important to me as a parent than that my girls love each other and are friends. I love you girls so much, you guys rock. Thanks for just letting me an observer in your crazy close best friend twin world.

No comments: