Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Yes, I said that right.... TWENTY YEARS.

So I was having dinner last night at Mike's family's house. Brothers Steve and Ron were in town for the holidays so the girls got to bask in the light and fun of their uncles. I was talking to Steve about something and I mentioned that we were going to Hawaii this Spring because our 20th High School Reunion is sometime this summer and we want to be sure to be in town since we have always lived away for every reunion. I went on about some other thing or another and Steve got really quiet and said "twenty?" in a whisper. All of a sudden, I too realized how old that sounds. TWENTY YEAR CLASS REUNION. I GRADUATED FROM HIGH SCHOOL TWENTY YEARS AGO. As I looked at Steve's wide eyes, I grabbed his arm and said "yeah, I know, it's bad huh? But we're cool right, we haven't lost it?" He stuttered for only a second bless his heart and assured me we were still hip. But I sort of have this feeling we might not be as hip as I think.

We have little kids so other Moms I am around are usually younger. Do they look at me and think wow...look at that poor old lady and her kids. My cousin who just turned 40 is becoming a Grandmother in the next few months. She is the cousin who I LOVED playing with when the cousins got together. She was a cheerleader and cool and had a hot boyfriend. She was three years older than me so she still liked me but was way cooler. And now she's going to be a Grandma. Sorry Rondeine, but that was a shocker to my system. I really think I'm fooling myself in this whole thinking I'm hip thing. I have hips but AM I hip? I'm thinking no. I'm thinking for a 37 year old I'm totally hip. But 37 year olds are I think by nature not hip. Unless you are Bono, Cher, Tom Cruise (who let's face it has lost it) or Wil Smith. Those guys are hip. But hey come on, I could hang out with Bono right? I mean, I know all the songs.

I'm so irritated that there is a slim possibility that I'm not as cool as I thought I was yesterday morning.

3 comments:

Travis and Marie said...

I definitely think you guys are hip! You have my hip vote. Age is relative. I feel ancient when I talk to certain people too...but I dont' feel it.

Kori said...

Yes 20 years is right...We are getting older but I don't feel it either. I don't know what you are complaining about, I have a daughter in High School! Now that makes me feel old!!!

Jody Carson said...

I'm not hip, and I stopped trying to be a lomg time ago........ I'm over-whelmed with taking care of our 5 kiddos by myself. -I think it's aged me. It's probably bad that I feel really old and I am only 31!!! Tom and I are finally going on a Honeymoon this summer!!! We are going to Italy, and I hope that when I come home, I will magically feel younger! ;)


I am So happy that the two of you are going to escape off to Hawaii together! I know how much you love Hawaii.......