Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Leverage and Lies or Just Old Fashioned Fun?

I have to admit something. I've used the HECK out of the whole Santa Claus thing this year. I taught the girls the words and tune to Santa Claus is Coming To Town like around Labor Day. "You better watch out girls", I warned. "HE'S WAAAAATCHING". Even tonight as I kissed their adorable heads goodnight I could not resist pointing out that tonight was the last night that Santa will be watching. That tomorrow night he'll be riding in his sleigh but tonight he was watching to see if they went to sleep good and was packing presents in his sleigh. Would he decide to pack presents for THEM? They laid very still in their beds and I could see the wheels spinning like mad. I felt a little guilty as I kissed their sweet smelling heads and turned off the light. Then, silence. The guilt vanished. I did a little gig on my way through the kitchen.

Whoever came up with the idea of Santa Claus was a parenting genius. It's so brilliant that I have come to the conclusion that it must have been thought up by a mother. A tired mother. While her husband was off at war. And she was losing her voice as Christmas Eve approached. And she was sooooo tired of darning socks and putting up with the whining of her children that she created this magical little man who would slide down her chimney and punish/reward her little rugrats for their behavior. She probably did a gig on her way through her kitchen the night she came up with the story. She might have felt a little guilt as she looked at their faces, turned up to her in anticipation, excitement and fear.

Whoever you were lady, we the mothers of the world thank you. You have given us a fighting chance in this dog eat dog world of parenting. Bless you kind lady. Bless your ever lovin' fib telling, pack of lies self. We love you Mother Christmas!

1 comment:

Jody Carson said...

That's funny!!! Santa comes to our house too, but it's a little hard when he smothers the two kiddos nextdoor and the Carson kids get one (really nice) gift from Santa......... That was one thing that I wasn't expecting. But, what are ya gonna do? Ya know? Glad your girls were good for you......... Loves!