Wednesday, December 17, 2008

We Need a Little Christmas. Right this very effing moment...

You guys I was down and out. Seriously, yesterday, I drove my girls to school sobbing my eyes out while listening to Christmas music because I just didn't have it in me to hang out my holly if you get my drift. And because I was in this frame of mind and because it was freezing cold and it was drizzling this misty rain crap...ALL the songs that came on the radio were the ones where your loved one is away from you at Christmas time. I'll be home for Christmas. Blah. I'll have a blue Christmas. Blech. Peace on Earth, Can It Be? Nope. Do they know it's Christmas time at all? Now I'm sobbing. Thanks a lot Y92 FM all Christmas all the time.

So I was faced with a decision. Could I get my Christmas on or was it a lost cause? Then, my baby fell and cut her head and bled and bled and bled. And she was okay. And I was so thankful. So my festivus bloomed out my butt today. We met Grammie and Papa for lunch. We hit Best Buy for some electronic Christmas items for those geeks in my life. I have many so the bill was quite high. Then, we hit Target for the annual Meeker Girls Christmas shopping Extravaganza Palooza. It goes a little something like this.

Put a leash on the child. Let them run around Target for a couple of hours picking out their own extra special items for all the folks on their list. We had told the girls a few days ago that they would be going shopping on Wednesday and to think about what they would like to get people. Well, Katie had obviously thought a TON about it. Jessica on the other hand told me on the way to Target NOT to speak to her because she was going to think the whole way until we got into Target. Oh man. The array of items in my basket at the end of this trip was in itself a true Christmas miracle. I never in a million years thought I would buy some of these items. Here's a small sample: A snow globe...a JESUS one. 3 hammers and nails. A hot pink basket for your closet so you can put shoes in it. Turquoise and pink elephant pajamas with long john bottoms. A zebra hat and gloves. A super shiny silver purse with a big star on it. Red lipstick. (guess who's that for?) Mittens. An army nutcracker. A shelf. Paint and paintbrushes. A book by Richard Paul Evans called Grace but only because it had a candle on the outside. The new Harry Potter book, the Tales of Beedle the Bard or whatever. A headband. Zebra bracelets. I think that's enough information for you to get the idea. And the girls were sooooo proud. Katie cried and cried when she found out she couldn't give her presents to people today. She sobbed, BUT I DON'T WANT TO WAIT FOR CHRISTMAS!!! This tradition of taking the girls shopping for other people and letting them pick out their own gifts is so much fun and something that we have done since they could walk. We do it for birthdays, mothers days and fathers days. If you have little ones it's so much fun but VERY expensive. But honestly, it's so much fun and they are so excited to GIVE their presents instead of what they are going to get that I would go without a single gift to be able to let them do this each year.

So the long story is I got my Christmas back. I just needed a bleeding child, several hundred bucks and a three year old trip to Target to remind me of the true meaning of Christmas.

4 comments:

lindsayfam said...

I always enjoy reading your blog....you always have some great insights and stories. I'm glad you've regained the CHirstmas spirit :) Hey can you post a message on my blog with your new address or e-mail me @ jenlindsay@gmail.com. I hope you have a very Merry Christmas.

Ingrid said...

Amy, I love that idea! I might have to try it out with Sage this year. I'm so glad Katie is alright--why do these things happen now when the calm husband is gone? I talked to Brent yesterday with Mike waiting in the background. Somehow Brent and Mike being together at that moment made all of this seem a little more normal.

kaybee said...

i am hoping the zebra hat/gloves/bracelets are for me.....;)

Jody Carson said...

The new Harry Potter book is on everybody's list this year! Katie must have been doing some holiday shopping research! ;) I'm amazed that they don't do repeat gifts in the same trip. Each gift is carefully thought about. I love it! And I'm glad that you got your holiday groove back on. Loves!