Monday, December 1, 2008

Katie and the DTD

So Katie had to go to the DTD (down there doc) today to be evaluated for a little plastic surgery. TMI alert. If you don't want to know anything about my kid's vajay jay do NOT read on. And Mom, I know, I shouldn't write about this stuff...got it. Anyhoo, so we go to the DTD and she takes over the whole surgery clinic. She walks in and announces that it sure is looking like Christmas in here. Then she tells the girl her name LOUDLY, asks the girl her name, takes her shoes off, jumps on the scale, looks at the number and announces "YEP, I DON'T HAVE A FEVER." huh? She was offered a sticker and she politely took one...at first. Then she remembered an earlier conversation with Jessica in which Jessica reminded her that she brought Katie a candy when she had to go to the doctor alone and she put it in her pocket and kept it there for a long long time and didn't eat it and did Katie have a pocket today? So Katie asked the girl if she could have a sticker for her sissy? So she picked out a Wall-E sticker for Jessica then asked for three more stickers and reminded the girl she would like a blue lollipop for herself but she'll need a yellow one for her sissy. Move along kid. Just pick your sticker and move along.

So we wait in the DTD exam room and at first Resident DTD Baker came in. He had black chest hair coming out of his scrubs which is a total doctor no-no BUT he had on black Dansko clogs which is a secret sign to all other surgeons that I'm a surgeon not just a regular doctor. He was super nice and we chatted and I gave him some history and he mentioned that he trains at Travis AFB sometimes and he was all excited to help us and attentive so I figure he's like maybe a second year MAX. Maybe even an intern cuz he had the whole chest hair thing going on and he needs to get the memo about wearing a tshirt, long sleeved under your scrubs dude. It's important. Anyhoo, he really WAS super nice. So he ran along to tell our story to his daddy, I mean his attending, and then the actual DTD came in and we talked. You can tell he was the attending because he didn't have on scrubs, or black clogs, just a REALLY REALLY expensive watch and REALLY REALLY nice Italian shoes. I mean, he had on more than that but well...you get my drift. He was awesome and said her condition was really common and easy to fix. He did a very quick examination. Here's how that little party went...

I took off her pants and I was up at her head talking to her thinking I would distract her because she might be scared or something. She immediately starts giggling hysterically saying "that tickles" over and over again. In my mind I am secretly dying because I'm thinking "what the HELL kind of games does this doc think we play at our house?" Finally, he did something that got an "'hey, OUCH" out of her and the exam was over. He was so great about not pushing her and making sure she'll be asleep for all future exams. He is going to order an ultra sound of her kidneys to make sure everything is functioning properly then he'll do a little snip and stitch and she will get to come home with us. He also said there is no rush so I can wait until these infusions are done and Mike is home. Is it weird that sometimes Mike is a DTD? A lot of my friends have told me that they wouldn't want their husbands to be DTDs but I honestly can say it has never bugged me not even for a second.

Anyway, Katie had a great time at the doctors and she announced to anyone who would listen on the way out that she was brave and strong and she likes going to the doctor and where was her lollipop? She got a candy cane that I had planned ahead and put in my purse and just happened to have an extra one for Jessica. My Mom said Katie was so proud giving Jessica her stickers and her candy cane and Jessica was so excited to get them and they hugged and hugged when they saw each other. I was at the bank when their little reunion took place so I missed it. I love sisters.

No comments: