Sunday, December 14, 2008

Christmas Past

I've been a lucky little girl. I had the kind of safe and secure childhood every kid deserves. My Christmases were filled with black velvet dresses, new earrings, lights, mistletoe, my Grandma's spiced sugar cookies frozen, Grandma Bea's Portuguese sweet bread. Christmas Eve was so exciting. We would go to Grandma Houlie and Papa Toms then over to Grandma Bea and Papa John's where if it was an especially good year, all the cousins were waiting. There were plates piled high with sushi, chicken wings, olives, salami and cheese, deviled eggs, fudge, cookies. Every memory I have seems to have a white lace veil over it and it shimmers letting me know that it was extra special. It was exactly how Christmas should be for a little kid. I sat by the tree last night with Jessica and we softly sang Christmas songs in the dark while we looked at the tree. I found myself wishing she would be able to remember that moment for the rest of her life. I know I will.

So here's what this post is all about. It's my ode to Christmas past. Last year I was so sick and this year have been sick again so I have the blue blue blue blue Christmas blues. But in Christmas, I have had my share of blessings. So be prepared to be dazzled with my Christmas merriment of past.


So here we go...the most fabulous and memorable Christmases in the lives of Amy Marie Oliver Meeker Jetson. (just threw in the Jetson to see if you were paying attention)



Christmas 1976

Mom and Dad opened and set up all the Santa presents without wrapping paper in the living room waiting for my 5 year old self to get up in the morning. When I got up I saw a bike and the entire Emerald City of Oz set up before my very eyes. It was like magic did it. It never dawned on me that my parents did this.



Christmas 1981

I think if you talk to my cousins, this would for sure be the best Christmas of our lives. Bo got the Millennium Falcon, Jut and Jeff got Xwing Fighters, Bo also got stretch armstrong. I got a barbie swimming pool and Bo and I got these new inventions called Walkmans. We listened to tapes of I don't know what over and over. His headphones were blue and mine were orange. It was magical. We stayed up all night playing with our toys. I loved this Christmas.



Christmas 1983

Moz, our Dog opens his first Christmas present on his own. We never pointed it out to him. We never told him it was okay. We were all in bed and somebody said "Mozer, It's Christmas Boy. Let's go open presents! He ran into the living room, got his present from under the tree and opened it. This will be the first year we do not have a dog on Christmas morning.


Christmas1991

Bo gave me a sterling silver locket to commemorate our last year of being single because we would both be getting married in the following year. I still have the heart and will give it to one of my girls when they get engaged for Christmas. This is the last Christmas I felt our family was in tact. Everybody loved everybody. We all were close and we had a few years before it all went to hell.


Christmas 1992

Our first married Christmas. Diamond earrings hidden in a hideous bathrobe as a diversion. Staying in pajamas all day long. The boys all still little and at home except for Ron. It was the year of the tape throwing incident that hit my lip and almost caused my divorce. on accident. We gave Steve this basketball board game he really wanted. It cost $35. It was the most expensive thing we bought anyone but his little 7 year old face made it worth it.



Christmas 1997

Our first Christmas away from home. We spent this in Washington DC with my parents. It was weird but nice except for the game of Risk in which Mike told my Mom to shut up and roll. Not sure how he survived that one. We made Ciopinno in my little kitchen on Bolling AFB. It was a great year.

Christmas 2004

We stayed in Nebraska. I was pregnant. My Mom and Dad came and Dad painted the girls room for us. The hope that I held inside that year was monumental. I was so scared that this wasn't really going to happen for us. That babies were not ever going to come to our house. But four months later, they did. This Christmas is the last one that I had a perfect tree, perfect meal,. quiet, time to reflect. It's my last Christmas of my childhood.

Christmas 2006

Not the girls first Christmas but their second. Footie pajamas in red and white snowflakes. They loved the lights and wrapping paper. We taught them they could touch the ornaments with one finger. They were saying a few words but giggling all the time. They couldn't believe their eyes on Christmas morning. And they didn't get the idea of presents. They kept wanting to stop and play with the toy they just opened.

Christmas 2008

Mike is across the world. I'm barely at a functional level. My kids are busting out of their seams about Christmas. Everything in their life right now is about Christmas. They can tell you the story of Jesus. They can sing Away in a Manger, Jingle Bells, We wish you a merry Christmas and Santa Claus is comin' to town. They love Christmas cookies. They told Santa they want a race car and safety scissors in their stockings. They love our tree which is decorated in red white and blue lights and ornaments in Mike's honor. My little family is separated so it's hard for it to truly feel like Christmas. But I owe it to my kids to make the magic. So I'm dusting off the magic wand and I'm going to try. There are a few days left to make it all happen. Wish me luck.

1 comment:

Jody Carson said...

Oh Amy, I can honestly say that I know how it feels to have to basically give yourself a pep talk to get excited about a Christmas without your husband. My visiting teacher called today wanting to make an appointment to come and see me. This week doesn't work for her, and Monday and Tuesday of next week doesn't work for me. So I asked her if she could come on Wednesday or Thursday of next week. In a horrified voice she said, "But that's Christmas!" -We settled on the 30th of December, but I completely forgot that Christmas is next week. Isn't that awful?? My heart just isn't in it this year. Sure the tree is up and Santa will come, but this just really sucks. I'm sorry that you have to do this too, and with being sick and all. Here's to a Christmas next year with our deployed loved ones! Love you!!!