Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Iron Woman I am Not

We all know about Iron Man Triathlons right? I would like to address the term "Iron Man" with our class today. This term is meant to denote strength, endurance, unbreakability, speed and toughness. An IRON man is supposedly better than like a RUBBER man or a PLASTIC man or even a COPPER man. IRON men are the toughest.

Well this week I found out that my body contains no iron. My blood is iron less. This has happened to a certain extent in the past. It's why I've had two blood transfusions prior to last Monday's 4 units of fresh red stuff. However, upon further study, it has been discovered that it is not blood that I lack but iron. This explains a lot to me. I have for a long time felt very un-iron-man if you get my drift. Endurance has been a very big struggle for me. I chalked it up to two three year olds and a husband who works a ton and a husband who is gone to war and being away from family then being near family and the fact that I'm unorganized and lazy and I don't eat enough rare meat and spinach. Now I know that regardless of these things, I was eventually going to drop like a dirty sock. And now I have. Dropped that is. And then I laid there for days and days and slept and slept and probably smelled like a dirty sock when I finally emerged from my cave. Now I'm on day 2 of feeling more like myself. Which is great. However, if I do not have iron infusions of a big amount I will drop again and soon. So I will be getting iron infusions once each week for 8-12 weeks. It's VERY much like chemotherapy for those of you familiar with that except I should not lose my hair. But it will make me very sick and I will probably have a hard time with these little infusions. But they will make me stronger. So I will kick their ASS. I will load up with anti nausea meds and people magazines and Rocky 3 theme songs and get my Iron and get stronger. If I can shoot myself in the ass 115 days straight with a big ol needle filled with a hormone in oil and get it inside my muscle I can do this right? (That was during infertility)I'm going to get this iron and then there's no stopping me. I may even try and go watch a triathlon, if there's a beach near by and an umbrella drink. ha ha.

2 comments:

sacramentostakeclerk said...

Wow. That sounds like it's going to be tough... But I'm glad it will make you healthier and stronger in the end.

I guess one (small) bright spot is the recent release of People's Sexiest Man Alive (since you'll have some quality magazine perusing time).

Two words: Hugh. Jackman.

I'll say it again.

Hugh.

Jackman.

Jody Carson said...

Well........a lack of iron may definitely explain why lately things have been so hard for you, health wise. Yikes! I didn't know about the needle in your butt for 115 days thing. Ouch! Oh Amy. I love you.