Saturday, November 8, 2008

8 thoughts on 8

I have been very hesitant to do a formal post regarding Prop 8. It passed in California. I voted yes on it. It states that the constitution of the state of California will be amended to define marriage as a union between one man and one woman. Here are 8 thoughts I have on this whole prop 8 subject and maybe some things you might want to know, or not...whatever. Clearing my throat, taking a deep breath and here we go.

  • I have been embarrassed by the behavior of some people on both sides of this issue. I have seen both Yes and No supporters preach the same gospel of hate and intolerance, of fear and control. I wish in the deepest places of my heart that people could express joy and positive statements about their beliefs in politics, religion or how to BBQ chicken and would leave the other side alone. Tearing someone down just is NOT cool. For any reason.
  • I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Our church does not take many official positions on political issues. But the wording of this proposition forced us to take a stand because it defined marriage. The proposition did not speak to civil rights for any group, of laws or protection under those laws. It did not speak as to what will or won't be taught in our schools or where the law might lead us should the proposition fail or succeed. All it did was define marriage in a way that we believe. So we HAD to take a stand to support it. It's what we believe as a fundamental part of our doctrine. To not support this definition of marriage would be to in fact go against what we believe religiously.
  • I do not believe in legislating religion or morality. I am pretty liberal. I believe in teaching people correct principles and letting them govern themselves. I believe in protecting the rights of free speech at all costs. For example, I don't believe in burning our flag. However, I will fight for the right of someone else to burn our flag because those freedoms that protect his right to burn that flag are the same freedoms that allow me to have this blog and declare that I am a Christian.
  • As far as proposition 8 goes, I could not take my religion or God out of it because it was for those reasons and those reasons alone that I supported it.
  • I would fight very hard against laws that would take Constitutional rights away from anyone. However, I believe marriage is a religious union. It is only in modern times that we attached legal weight to this union. It was created by God, it is ordained by God and I believe God intends it to exist between a man and a woman.
  • I believe in civil unions for gay couples. I believe that their rights to declare each other as their legal life partner for medical, property and legal reasons should be protected by law. Some of the very best people I have ever known happen to be gay and I love them and I respect them and I would be very sad if my position on this issue hurt them in any way. These people in my life that I am referencing are amazing, generous and treated me with such kindess at times in my life that were the very darkest. I know they feel so rejected and hurt by the passing of this proposition and I know nothing I say would ever change that and for their saddness I feel genuine sorrow.
  • Our church came out with a statement that is the whole reason behind this post. I want to BE SURE that my fellow church members AND those who are not of my faith are clear as to what the LDS church's stand is on this issue. We have been heavily criticized in the media for intolerance and hate and that is not what we are about. Here is the direct quote: the LDS church made a statement on November 5 clearly stating that the church believes that gay and lesbian couples should have equal rights. In the church's response (found here at ldsliving.org) is the following paragraph:
    Allegations of bigotry or persecution made against the Church were and are simply wrong. The Church’s opposition to same-sex marriage neitherconstitutes nor condones any kind of hostility toward gays and lesbians. Even more, the Church does not object to rights for same-sex couples regarding hospitalization and medical care, fair housing and employment rights, or probate rights, so long as these do not infringe on the integrity of the traditional family or the constitutional rights of churches.
  • I hate contention and fighting among good people in whom I have seen great love and compassion, tenderness and respect. Please do not spread that attitude of hate and please reach out to those people you know who do not know what we believe and be sure that they do. It's important.

2 comments:

Jody Carson said...

I never knew that the church supported Civil Unions. Hmmm.....Maybe my Father-In-Law is not so different from the Church and it's beliefs after all. Thanks!

kaybee said...

even tho we don't have the same view on this issue, i respect you my dear old friend and the fact you are brave to speak on it.