Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Heart Thumps

Sometimes stuff happens in my day that makes my heart feel like somebody extracts it from my chest and dumps it on the floor. It's not always a bad feeling, sometimes it's just because I am overcome with emotion both good and bad. For example, here are my heart thump moments from today

Jessica and Katie got into bed with me and I laid in the middle and they both scooted over to me until we were one mass on tangled limbs and bodies and it was quiet and we just were.

Katie woke up from her nap today crying. When I went into her room and gathered her up she said she was sad that it wasn't Valentines Day. I was totally confused. I said "honey, aren't you excited? Tomorrow is your Thanksgiving party at school, not Valentines Day." And her eyes were all filled with tears and she said "yeah, but if it was Valentines day tomorrow then Christmas would already happened and my Daddy would be home". ugh...well ya got me there kid.

Jessica and I napped together and the whole time she slept she wrapped her arms around my arm like it was her teddy bear and if I tried to move she tightened her grip. When she woke up I told her she could go out into the family room and play or she could stay in here with me and she just rolled over and into me like a spoon.

My Relief Society President came over tonight who is a mom of four boys I think and is super busy and has a ton of responsibility and was here with baked goods to offer her help to me during this time. I told her it was so hard for me to ask for help because I think of her life and how busy it is and I hate the idea that I'm adding to what she already has on her plate and she says it stresses her out more at night when she thinks that there are people in the ward that have needs that aren't being met or known about and she'd rather rock a baby or clean a house or visit somebody because it just made her LESS stressed out. And she meant it.

Tonight before bed Katie and I did Miss Mary Mac which is a clapping and singing game that I think my Grandma taught to me. While we sang it clapping our hands together, she on my lap we locked eyes as we sang and the joy and love I got back from her gaze during this silly little song about nothing was more moving to me than when I locked eyes with Mike during our wedding. (sorry mike) It was just one of those moments when my soul said to her soul "I KNOW YOU".

My cousins Jeff and Ali are having a little boy after experiencing sheer joy for the past two years with their little girl. They are awesome parents and my Auntie Lori is an awesome Grammie and my Uncle T is an awesome Papa and now they are going from pink to blue, from one to two and I am just so thrilled for all of them. Jeff is amazing at fishing like he could be pro easy and world famous and feed our whole family for EVER in the event of a disaster so I am so happy he will have a son to pass along fishing to like his Dad did for him. I know I know, I'm being sexist and their daughter Emi already has a fly rod but it's easier with a boy to pass on fishing than it is to a girl. So I am so happy for him and for all of them and I already have some custom onesies picked out.

These were my thump moments. Do you have them too?

1 comment:

Jody Carson said...

Every once in a while I do have "heart thumps." It's when I tune everything else out and I actually enjoy my kids. There's gotta be something to spacing, that's all I have to say about that. ;)