Wednesday, November 5, 2008

HOLIDAY DEALS

I am not known as a bargain hunter or shopper. I admire my friend Jody the most of anyone in the world in regards to this. When she was my neighbor on Andrews AFB I saved the most money of my life when we went shopping. I would go to buy something and she would roll her eyes take it out of my basket and explain to me how I could get it for cheaper and better. She dressed her son in Gap and OshKosh and she always looked fabulous and she never spent money. Mike LOVED when I lived near Jody. I'm sad to say I have gone back to my non frugal ways. I blame my Dad really who is famous for picking up the most expensive shoes or home fixture and who loves to buy stuff. Expensive stuff. So I have a genetic thingymajig that throws me off the scent of a bargain. Now, I'm NOT AS BAD as some people I know. I get my hair cut for a reasonable price, my favorite store is Target and I buy 80% of my kids stuff off season on sale.

But there's one place that I am proud to say that I go each year at this time and I get the best deals. It's called the DOLLAR STORE. Now here are the reasons you need to get your holiday hoopdie on at the dollar store. First, by Thanksgiving they will be out of Christmas gift bags. The gift bag is one of the dollar store secrets. Gift bags go anywhere between $2.50 at Target and up to $5.oo at Hallmark. At the dollar store they are a buck. And they are super cute and have cute adornments like buttons or silk flowers and great handles made out of sheer ribbon and they are as nice as the other places that sell gift bags for way more. And if you get there before Thanksgiving, you can get big ones that will hold entire outfits for Grandma or large toy items. They have big bundles of tissue paper also for a buck. I choose to buy my wrapping paper elsewhere. But I buy bags to hold the Christmas cookies or fudge I will give to people, I buy candy canes to put out and I buy ceramic mugs to stuff with bags of homemade hot cocoa mix. I bought tacky decorations for Mike's plywood shack in the desert and I bought ring pops for the girls. When I presented the ring pops and showed them how to wear them like a ring Katie exclaimed "It's SOOOOO BEAUTIFUL" and Jessica said "It is like a TREASURE." That was so worth a dollar. Remember, go to your dollar store now for great holiday items that you have to buy anyway.

1 comment:

Jody Carson said...

You're SO sweet!!! You make me feel like a RoCk StAr!!! :D I so wish that there was a dollar store here........ You taught me about the wonderful gift bags, tissue paper and cute, cheap ornaments at the dollay store. And I've remembered every Christmas since 2001! However, it wasn't until last Christmas that I learned the HARD way that you do not buy or use the $1 store wrapping paper. I wasted SO much tape because I was darned if I wasn't going to get that wrapping paper to work! I didn't even think about sending Tom ornaments......... Hmmm.... Thanks!