Tuesday, June 3, 2008

To Uphold the Constitution of The United States against all enemies foreign and domestic...

Even though I like to think that Mike is a doctor, who works in between his office and exam room, has a swivel cushy chair, makes me cook stuff for office potlucks, starts work at 7:30 and is supposed to end at 4:30...it's just not reality. Today, I got a swift kick in the butt reminder. As I sat watching Mike raise his right arm and swear to protect our country, defend our Constitution without mental reservation or purpose of evasion, I realized that my fantasy of Leave It To Beaver, Family Ties, Cosby Show has never been and will never be real. When you are in the military you just aren't ever gonna be a Courier & Ives painting. You might get some Brady Bunch moments but if you are married to Mike, you can count on having MASH worm it's way in there every once in awhile. I found myself being more proud than ever today. Not of Mike though. But of the countless people who didn't get Med School and college paid for, and who make pennies doing important jobs and who continue to volunteer again and again to protect my freedom and keep my kids safe. I'm proud of Mike, don't get me wrong. I've never met a more patriotic and happy to serve fella. But there are many out there just like him. Some of them are at Basic Training right now, being called a maggot and told they are nothing so they can be rebuilt faster, stronger, better. When Mike leaves for the desert soon, I've decided I need to not whine & complain but freakin cowboy up and take it like a woman. It's ridiculous for me to boo hoo about how hard I've got it when there are other MOMS over there, sacrificing countless evenings of Good Night Moon and slobbery kisses to do something for me. Whether I believe in this war or not (i don't by the way), I am thankful that our military members just do their job, do it better than anyone in the world and quietly go about their business of protecting our country.


Thanks guys, we owe ya big time. And you look pretty cute in those uniforms!!!
Here are some pictures from today:

Mike showing the girls where to pin his new "jewelry"
Lt. Col Ward and Major Meeker


Jessica, Mike, Katie and Me After His Promotion Ceremony



No comments: