Saturday, June 14, 2008

Dads

The influence of a Dad is the hugest thing in a girl's life I think. A mom is hugely important too, don't get me wrong. But for a little girl, a Dad that she can look up to and trust determines a lot about how she will turn out as an adult.


This is my Dad.



I grew up knowing I could always count on my Dad. He participated in every part of my childhood from taking me to school, coaching my softball and other sports teams, taking me shopping for my Homecoming dress, grilling both boys who I was dating and burgers for slumber parties. He taught me to cook, to write, to public speak, to be ethical in work and life. My Dad never takes short cuts because they are easy. He's always honest and does the right thing. He is bad at Math like me and both of us are horrible at managing money. We like to spend it just not keep track of it. My sense of humor, my need to tease other people and laugh at people's physical and emotional pain (not tragic stuff - just hammer to the thumb and when people freak out cuz of stress) comes directly from my Dad. We always did fun stuff together as a family and we are all still really good friends. Even though my Dad is a GREAT Dad, he's an even better Papa to Katie and Jessica. He's their favorite person on the planet earth. They love to ride in his big truck named "Rocket". They love to play with Papa, take a nap with him and play in his garage that is called Papa's play room. They love to share snacks with him at the kitchen table like Apples with Grey Salt or Peanut Butter. Papa (and Grammie too) live in Jessica and Katie's favorite house. They tell us all the time that they want to live at Papa and Grammie's house and not at our small house that is too small for us. They beg to go to Papa and Grammie's everyday. We're pretty lucky in the Dad/Papa department.





This is my daughters' Dad.




He became a Dad in 2005 but it seems to me that he was put on this planet for the single purpose of being a father to Katie and Jessica. From the moment they were born, he handled fatherhood like I imagine Brett Favre handled Pop Warner football. It's like just natural for him. He does EVERYTHING that I do for the girls. There's no "I'm a guy and that's a mothers job" for him. (except for buying them clothes, shoes and clipping their fingernails) He is their favorite playmate and they ask fifty times a day when will he be home. They look for him every morning and are always sad on Mondays when he has to go back to work. The look to him for fun, comfort, security, leadership, discipline, right and wrong, yummy snacks and kisses and hugs. Every week Mike will stop at a drive thru on the way home and bring home one chocolate milkshake and 3 straws for the three of them to share after dinner. Their favorite thing to do with their dad is play WonderPets. They could play WonderPets ALL day long saving everything from Dolphins, to teddy bears to Chick Fil-A moo cows with their dad. The girls LOVE Mike. Like a lot. A lot A lot.

1 comment:

lindsayfam said...

I'm so glad you found us! It is so good to hear from you. Your girls are beautiful. It looks like you have been busy having lots of fun with them. When does Mike leave for Afghanistan? We will be in town July 10 - 23 are you going to be around? We'd love to get together with you. My e-mail is jennlindsay@gmail.com, ray's is raylindsay@gmail.com. What is Mike's e-mail I'll pass it along to Ray. Talk to you soon :)