Tuesday, May 19, 2009

My Favorite Things: Bedsore Edition

So being stuck in bed for the past two weeks has heightened my awareness, appreciation and reverence for some things that I otherwise tend to overlook. They say "you don't know what you've got until it's gone" and I've never felt that to be more true than right now. So in honor of that, I have selected some of my favorite things that I am loving right now in my present state.

  • Showers. Oh the blessed ritual of the shower. To be clean. To cleanse. To scrub. To shave. To perfume thy body with essential oils and froofy smelling good stuff. To not stink. This is my most favorite of all things that I can think of right now.
  • Vegetables: Asparagus roasted in olive oil and sea salt, artichokes steamed in butter and balsamic vinegar, green leafy lettuce mixed with ripe tomatoes, cucumbers, beets and olives tossed in a wonderful zingy dressing, zucchini grilled on the BBQ, mushrooms fried in garlic butter, corn on the cob, a baked potato, carrots tossed in brown sugar and butter, eggplant dredged in panko and fried to a perfect crisp, steamed broccoli, spinach salad, stir fry. These are the things I am dreaming of. Mike is not big on cooking so we are surviving on take out. Take out does not yield many vegetables and my body is screaming for the manna of rabbits.
  • Car rides- to feel the wind in my hair as I drive a vehicle along a country road would be lovelier than just about anything besides a shower.
  • Pedicures - my feet are so gross right now. I thought they would be fine given that I AM NOT USING THEM FOR ANYTHING but alas, such is not the case. They are dried, cracked, hard, calloused homes for dead skin cells and lint from my bed linens. Oh to have a pedicure in which someone could return my feet to their former fancy selves.
  • Deodorant - I won't elaborate on this one. But trust me, deodorant is a great thing.
  • Books - now books are something I have enjoyed my fill of recently. In particular, David Baldacci and Adriana Trigiani have been keeping me company along with Stephanie Meyer who by now is a close intimate personal friend.
  • The Internet, in particular, TV shows on the Internet. I have loved catching up on Lost, watching old episodes of the Office and re-watching the Gray's Anatomy Season Finale so many times that I am now positive who, if any of the two, are going to live or die. I am a genius is why.
  • Sleep - it is the only time Miss Knee doesn't hurt. In sleep I am running and shopping and being all around fabulous. My dreams are the high point of my day. Maybe I'll see you there tonight. Maybe we'll shop, for jeans two sizes smaller than we wear and then eat chocolate cake that causes us to drop another size so we have to take our jeans back and exchange them for a size smaller. Oh dreams. My heart beats for thine eternally.

And these, my lovelies, are my favorite things.

No comments: