Friday, May 22, 2009

Good Fathers - New Babies

Mike and I were talking about good fathers the other day. I was thanking him for stepping up and carrying our family through this time that I've been down with surgery. He has taken time off work and has taken care of the girls on his own. And instead of feeling resentful or wishing the time would go quickly so he could get back to normal life, he has been so grateful for the time with his girls. In his words: "Normally I work super hard and if I work super hard and get everything done, my reward is to get to go to Afghanistan again. It just sort of sucks. But now, I've had this time with my girls that I would never have had if you didn't have surgery and needed me to be home. I got to actually take care of them and spend real time with them instead of just an hour before they go to bed at night." I think that makes Mike a pretty awesome Dad in my book. I feel so happy when I watch the girls with him and how they are so in love with him. I know because of their relationship with their Dad, they will have a better chance of picking a guy who will be kind and a helpful companion to them when the time comes because they had that example. My Dad was the same way. He raised me, spent time with me, took me shopping for my homecoming dress, cooked, did - I mean - helped with all my science fair and such projects for school. I never felt like my Mom was the caregiver and my Dad was the distant father figure. And I picked to share my life and children with someone who feels that it is a privileged to be a father and spend time with his girls doing the mundane chores that make life run.

As Mike and I discussed fathers and what it means to be a good one, Mike mentioned that my cousin Jeff was one of the best fathers he knew of as far as our peers go. I totally agree. Jeff is an amazing father to his wonderful daughter Emi. He is the perfect blend of fun, attentive, worry when necessary, teaching, coaching, leading all with love as the overwhelming focus. And Jeff became a Dad for the second time yesterday when his son Luke was born. Jeff's kids are so lucky to have him as a Dad. (They also have a FABULOSO Mom in Jeff's wife Ali) We are so happy they have a new life to cherish, nurture and love. That baby is one lucky little guy and we are so glad to welcome a new member of our family. Jessica is DYING to call Emi today to tell her "congratulations on her new brother and for getting to become a sissy." So we'll be doing that later today.

Fathers Day is rapidly approaching. I want to do something extra special for Mike this year but I am sort of limited in my mobility. If you know of a creative and fun idea, please share it. If I don't get help, I'm afraid Mike is going to end up with a tie and a grilled steak. LAME. Help please.

2 comments:

3rd Wave Inc said...

Great Father's Day gift ideas, weather radios, perfect for summer!

Travis and Marie said...

you could go get pictures dones of you with the girls...I did that one year and Travis loved it.

I loved this post by the way...what a great dad you've got by your side...not complaining or anything. I'm impressed. He's stepped up nicely.