Monday, May 11, 2009

I enjoy being a girl...

As I sat, knee swollen, leg propped on pillows and stitches healing, I welcomed another Mother's Day. As usual, my feelings were close to my heart and tender. There were so many years that I dreaded Mother's Day. Sometimes I hid in my bathrobe, under the covers and refused to come out until Monday. Sometimes, I slapped on a happy face and headed to church and acted happy when they gave me a rose...even though I wasn't a mother, but so longed to be one. My first Mother's day was in the midst of post pardom and I still felt sad. Last Mother's Day I finally felt settled about my Mother's Day angst. This year, I felt grateful for my little family. I feel grateful for my roses on my nightstand and the three cards displayed on my dresser. I enjoyed a quiet day at home with Mike and the girls who kissed me every time they saw me and told me Happy REAL Mother's Day! They had already celebrated a pre-mother's day last week at preschool which I attended even though Mike had to wheel me in and out and I had to take more pain medication than is probably advisable to get through it. My Mom and Mike's Mom came by at different times and were given flowers and cards and kisses and hugs. Mike helped me wash my hair which I hadn't been able to do in 7 days. Did you hear that? 7 days since I washed my hair. SEVEN. We finally figured out how I could get into the shower with my right leg locked into place. So washed hair, roses, visits, cards and kisses. Life is good.

I have daughters. I am an only child so there was a higher female to male ratio in our home. My mother is one of four daughters. My Grammie Bea is one of four daughters. My mother in law is one of four daughters. My Grandma Houlie is one of three daughters and her
father died when she was 2 so her house was all women except for her one brother Larry. My sister in law Amber (who is one of four daughters) is preparing to have a second daughter bringing the number of granddaughters in the Meeker family to seven while the number of grandsons remains at two. Women surround my life, my history and make up my future. Our house is littered with stuffed animals, drawings of rainbows and hearts and ballerina stuff. In any drawer you might stumble across a hair bow or a ribbon. There are reminders of girlish, womanly and matronly things throughout my home. And I wouldn't have it any other way.

I think women are amazing. I think they are beautiful whether they are 89 or 4 years old. I like their smiles, their hair and their curves whether generous or slight. I like the tinkle of their laughter and the smell of their perfume and lipstick. I like that the mirror in the flip down sun visor of cars was made just for them. I like that they are always on diets yet universally love chocolate. I love their strength. I love their courage. I love their jewelry. I am so happy for the women in my life, especially my Mom and my daughters. Happy Mothers Day to all of the extraordinary women in the world. I am proud to be numbered among you.

3 comments:

sacramentostakeclerk said...

Ha! I love the diet/chocolate observation. So true!

Anonymous said...

Happy Mother's Day, Amy. :) Sending you buckets of love!

Travis and Marie said...

what a great post. I am glad you got to wash your hair...you probably feel like a completely new woman again!