Thursday, April 9, 2009

Oh The Places We Go....

We just got back from Orlando for an entire six days with no kids in a nice hotel with a great pool, yummy food and friends who we love. Mike had his annual Uniformed Services Academy of Family Physicians conference. We get to see friends from Med School and Residency and now Mike gets to reunite with friends from Afghanistan as well. It was so much fun. Mike was able to complete most of his CME requirements for the year by going to the sessions during the day. I was able to sleep, read, hang out at the pool, shop at a cool outlet mall and chill out during the day and then go out with Mike Meeker at night. I actually had time to primp in front of the mirror, flat iron my hair properly, wear perfume and iron my clothes. To most people, these things are just a part of daily life but I haven't done them since our cruise in 2006. I think I had lipstick on the entire week even in my sleep. It was wonderful!!! Mike and I got to just hang out and even went to a MOVIE!!!! We have been to exactly four movies in the past four years where we used to go to a weekly dinner and movie date before kids. I ate my meals slowly. I cut no ones meat but my own. I went to restaurants that didn't have crayons. We stayed for dessert. There was no dropped food on the floor or in my hair. I had no ketchup smudges on my arm from little hands trying to get my attention. I stayed up late. I slept in. I was around a swimming pool without having an anxiety attack. I strolled when I walked and sipped when I drank. I didn't use sunscreen and I didn't pack a big bag of stuff before I left the hotel room. I carried an actual purse. Did I mention it was wonderful?

The girls went on vacation to Grammie and Papa's house, which is their favorite vacation spot. Do you know how wonderful it is to have parents not only willing but happy to keep your kids for six days and not have to worry for one single second about their safety or well being. To be able to leave and fly across the country knowing they will be better cared for than if they were with me. To arrive after six days away with presents in hand and to have your daughter actually cry on the way home because she will miss her Grammie and Papa. It's a gift that can NEVER be repaid no matter how many years I spend alive. The only way I can repay them is to do the same for Katie and Jessica when they need to have some time away with their husbands. My parents played and drew pictures and snuggled and tickled backs and cleaned up vomit and washed and brushed and hugged and kissed my babies while I visited with my bestest buddy Mike and discovered we REALLY needed some time together just to talk and laugh and slow down for a second and remember why we like each other. Thanks Mom and Dad. Massage Gift Certificates, a yummy Easter dinner and a night on the town for the two of you are forthcoming. And we will take extra super good care of you when you guys get old.

We missed our babies like crazy. We promised each other that we wouldn't talk about them too much, that we would talk about politics and ourselves and funny stuff. But we talked about them all the time because how can you talk about politics without talking about the world we are leaving to them and how can we talk about ourselves without talking about the people that makes up who we are and how can we talk about funny stuff without talking about the source of all of our laughter? We decided to give up trying not to talk about them and spent one night going over memories of their lives until 2am. It was the best night. We laughed so hard as we told stories of their birth to now. And when we finally were reunited with them, we came home and did the usual. We all cuddled up together in our big bed and fell fast asleep snuggled together for a long nap. It was so great to get to kiss those cheeks and smell those heads and feel the weight of their bodies in our laps. We had a great time, we really did. But it was also great to come home to our little family. It's nice to be happy in both places. I am feeling very blessed today. And very thankful for my parents and my kids and my husband and my life in general.

I guess my funk is gone. Who knew the way to rid yourself of a funk would be to go to Florida?

3 comments:

sacramentostakeclerk said...

I've always hated that advice: Go out on a date with your husband but don't talk about your kids. Who came up with that crazy advice?! Good to hear that you left it unheeded.

p.s. Your trip sounds like absolute perfection to me. I'm jealous. But happy for you. Still jealous, though. But mostly happy?

Travis and Marie said...

I am envious. You cut no ones meat but your own and you actually got to primp! I love it....I think at least every few years you need a break like that....and no matter how hard you try (well I try) not to talk about my kids when they aren't with me, that's almost all I can talk about, they are my job, life, routine....I have trouble focusing on anything else. I love that you guys stayed up late discussing memories of the wee ones.....I feel like I haven't "talked" to you forever....I need to be a better blogger. :)

Anonymous said...

Hey, I had so much fun with you!!! I'll be sure to send you some pictures that we had, although I really wish I would have gotten some of you and Nathan together!!! Oh well, come South Carolina, we'll definatley take tons! :)