Wednesday, April 15, 2009

A Letter To Katie On Her 4th Birthday...

Dear Katie Kate,

I can’t believe they yanked you out of me four years ago today. I didn’t expect you to be born on April 15th. I expected you to arrive sometime in May. But you had a different idea about when you wanted to be born. It was you, and not your twin sister, best friend and partner in crime and fun who demanded to make their entrance on this day. Jessica wasn’t ready. But as with most things, you pulled her along as you plunged into life head first and at full speed. When you were an infant, we thought you’d never sleep. Most infants sleep about 20 hours per day. You were awake about that much time. I would rock you at night long after Jessica was peacefully slumbering in the crib you shared. I would pretend that I was sleeping, I would close my eyes as I held you and start to fake snore. I’d slyly open one eye half way to see if you were going to fall for my act. You never did. There you would be staring up at me with a happy little face, eyes WIDE open, boring a hole into my soul. You studied me as if to say “are you going to be financially solvent enough to buy me a tricycle when I turn three?” And “you know Mom, college is going to sneak up on you before you know it. And the prom. Oh the prom is going to cost you a bundle!” I felt nervous when I held you. Not that you would break but that I would not live up to the sort of mother you expected and deserved. Daddy dubbed you his “Jedi in training” because of your piercing eyes and alertness to everything around you. You are a natural comedian and have been keeping us laughing since we brought you home from the hospital and you would pretend to take your bottle and then smile like a doofus.

Funny is how most people would describe you. You love it when people think you are funny. You tell jokes, you goof around and you dance and twirl and perform at any time whether it has been requested or not. You love to come up to someone and ask “would you like to see my moves?” You then launch into some sort of spastic dance that involves tripping and falling and spinning around. Just when we think you have hurt yourself for sure you will exclaim “I am OOOOOHHHHHKAYYY” and then laugh some more. You do not have a shy bone in your body. You make friends easily and are friendly with everyone. My favorite thing about you is that express your love for others so freely and easily. You are always telling someone “I love you” and when anyone leaves your presence you cry sincere tears and tell them “I will miss you” as tears well up in your eyes. This wins you a special place in the heart of most people in your life because you make them feel so loved and wanted.

You are very dramatic. You have pretty animated parents so you come by in naturally. Whenever you are upset you announce to the room “good bye everyone! I am leaving now.” Then you go off to sulk. If no one comes after you, then you return in no time flat happy and cheerful as ever. What you really love is for someone to follow you after your dramatic exit and beg you to come back to the party. No matter whether you are happy or sad, you are either one or the other to the extreme. I don’t think you have a medium speed, just fast or slow. You are now an excellent sleeper and sleep many more hours than Jessica each night. You have flair and style and a charming laugh. Everyone around you loves you and loves being around you.

I always knew you would be my daughter. When I closed my eyes and imagined my little girl Katelyn who I knew would be called Katie, I pictured her with curly brown hair and bright green eyes. As I spent years wondering if I would ever be a mother, it is as if the Lord put a picture of you inside my mind to hold on to so I would keep going and trying to get past the next hurdle. I get you. I get you to a degree that I don't get anyone else. You and I are two peas in a pod. We like the same things and we love hanging out together. You are my friend and one of my favorite people to just hang around with, even if we are doing nothing but snuggling on the couch watching TV. (which we both love to do)

You are an amazing person Katie. I feel so lucky to be your Mom. Daddy and I amazed by the strength of spirit we feel when we look at you. You are smart and funny and cute and everything we could ever have hoped to have in a daughter and friend. Thank you for coming into my life and blessing it with your humor and love for life. Anyone who spends any time with you can’t help but be reminded of how great life is, how full of joy and wonder this world can be if we only have the right perspective. I hope you know how loved you are as a daughter, a sister, a granddaughter and friend. You make me want to try harder and be a better person. You have changed my life forever.

Happy birthday my spunky, funky, perky, quirky, amazingly wonderful four year old big girl.

Love Forever and Ever and Ever,
Mama

No comments: