Sunday, January 11, 2009

Home Again Home Again Jiggity Jig...


He arrived.
Safely.
Looking healthy and a few pounds heavier.
Decked out so he could hide if needed in the desert.
We were there, decked out in velvet and tafetta.
Red Lipstick.
Our fanciest of fancy.
Parents were there, both sets, and two Grandmothers.
Flags were unfurled and signs waved.
They said Welcome Home, USA and I Love My Daddy
Passengers started to come down the escalator.
Waiting and waiting.
A tired looking woman touched my arm.
"He's coming" she said kindly. "I saw him on the flight."
"Thank you so much" I said to her, more grateful for that small sentence than she could ever know.
Waiting waiting waiting.
Katie and Jessica each had a sign.
Six hopeful eyes. Three silent mouths.
Then, a pair of boots running down the stairs.
My husband, their Dad, their son, their grandson emerged.
The airport erupted in applause from our group and all those that were on the flight and strangers who all of a sudden weren't.
The girls ran. As fast as they could. Toward a father on his knees with waiting arms,
That enveloped them both in a tight hug.
That lasted longer than 4 months did.
Then I stepped forward.
And I fell.
Into arms I have missed more than I thought possible.
And those arms came around me.
And I was whole again.
And well.
And grateful.
Fierce hugs all around for the moms and dads.
Gentler hugs for the Grandmas.
Jumping girls.
Jumping jumping.
Hanging and climbing on Dad.
For the first time in a long while.
Dragging Daddy's backpack.
Toward our van.
Loading us inside.
Driving Home.
A stop at In and Out Burger's Drive Thru.
A deep exhaled breath upon crossing our threshold.
A little family snuggles on the couch.
Watching Dora The Explorer.
All four people climb into one big bed.
Lullabies are sung.
A little girl finally cries her eyes out.
And is finally able to let us know she scared her Daddy will have to go away again.
Whispered reassurances.
Hugs are given.
Kisses too.
And the little family drifted off into slumber.
Wrapped around each other, feet and legs and arms jumbled together.
And slept.
While the world, and war, and efforts for peace continue on.
But for now, all is still and warm and right.

Please enjoy some of pictures from our happiest moment in a long time. Watching the girls run to Mike was in my top five best moments of my life so far. It was really wonderful. Thanks to all for the prayers and support.

























































































































































The End.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy he made it home safely! Please give him our love!

kaybee said...

welcome home mikey!!! that post and pics brought tears to my eyes. god bless you all....

Jody Carson said...

That is SO wonderful! I cried!!! I am SO happy that Mike is home safe and sound! I too hope that Mike does not have to go back to the desert any time soon! Enjoy your reunion, Little Meeker family!!! Yay!!!! Loves!

Travis and Marie said...

so so darling! I love it! brought me to tears and shivers. Very sweet that you feel whole again...I love it...that means he's your soul mate! Your description was fantastic!

Anonymous said...

oh my goodness! This is, by far, the most touching thing I have seen or read!! Amazing recap amy, I feel as though I was there with you for this blessed reunion! God bless your beautiful family!! We love you all, Ali, jeff and emilia