Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Sass

This blog is meant to chronicle the highs AND lows of life right? Especially the highs and lows of parenthood. I think we can all agree I've covered the highs. The high-fives, high-jinx, high-flying, high-hopes etc. of my life with my sweet twin angels. Well...um....today I flew on a plane with 2 three year olds who have spent the past six days hanging out with their much cooler, much braver, much more dashing and daring, one year older, sporty, all boy kind of boy cousin Cayden. Apparently, my girls, my angels, my little babies, now think they are members of the girl gang in the movie Grease - the Pink Ladies. Every second they are rolling their eyes at me and saying things like "duh mom" and when I correct them they say stuff like "sssoooooorrrrry" but in this snotty sarcastic tone like I'm the idiot that just chose to suck on poison or something. I swear one of them is going to say "hey! fungool. I'm Sandra Dee" at any moment.

Now please understand this is in no way a reflection of Cayden. He's an amazing kid full of kindness and joy and life and enthusiasm. He is loving and fun. But apparently, my kids think he'll think THEY are cooler if they are well um...cooler. Which means, I, the Mom, am automatically UNCOOL. Which I totally don't like. I liked that they thought I was the center of their earth, the princess of the story that everyone clamors around for approval and praise. I'm the one they wanted to impress and I'm the one they wanted to make laugh. Now, dumb three year old jokes are funny like this humdinger: "Tinkle Tinkle Little Star. Won't you make me go pee pee?" What is that all about?

And I have to admit, Cayden IS cooler than me. I don't blame them for wanting to make him laugh and like them. I just can't help but think it's the end of an era. At least for a little while. I basically thought my mom was a clueless ninny until I was about 22 then all of a sudden, she became a genius overnight and has just gotten smarter since then. I guess I'll have to wait 19 more years until I am cool again. "Tell me more, tell me more, like did he have a car?" ha ha

1 comment:

Jody Carson said...

I too have a kid who has taken on some "new" character traits, as of late. Dallin is not being sassy, just goofy! And you know that I don't handle goofiness very well. I hope that this is what comes from trying to impress the 10 year old boy next door, and not a permanent change in his demeanor. AHHH!!! I hope that your girls will return to their sweet, mother adoring selves soon!