Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Lunch Time Laughter

I needed to kill some time yesterday so I took the girls to Burger King for lunch and indoor play time. The following was a bit from our conversation. It is very indicative of their personalities.

KATIE: (yelling at the top of her lungs and pointing) Mom...look at those boys sitting all by themselves. Do you think their wife died? I bet she did. It's so so so sad Mom that they have to eat by themselves.
ME: Kate...don't point and yell. It's not polite. And maybe their wife just decided to stay home.
JESSICA: Mama...there are 21 people in this restaurant right now.
KATIE: (still yelling) Yep. Maybe their loving person stayed home. But why would they want to miss lunch at King Burger? Nope. I think they must have died. It's just so sad.
JESSICA: Mama, now there are only 17 people in here. I counted the workers I can see AND us. 17 includes us too. Oh...here we go! Four people just came in so now there's 21.
ME: Katie, please stop yelling and pointing.
JESSICA: Two people left again so there's only 19 but I found another worker so there is actually 20.
KATIE: (yelling even louder with a lot of drama) Mama, I want to make those boys a card and tell them I am sorry their wife died. I'm just so sad they have to eat all alone.
JESSICA: Mama - now there is 25 people here. Wow. The number of people is getting very high!
ME: Katie! Stop pointing and yelling. Jessica...you are very good at counting and I'm glad you think it's fun but you also need not to yell. We need to use our inside voices.
BOTH GIRLS: But why?
ME: Because it is not polite and good manners. And maybe those boys sitting alone will feel bad when they hear you. And everyone in the restaurant isn't talking to each other anymore, they are listening to us. So let's try to keep our voices down.
KATIE: But can I go talk to those boys?
ME: no.
JESSICA: (in a yelling whisper) Mom, now we are down to 21 again. I hope some more people come in here so I can count them.
ME: Okay so lunch is all done. Yay! You guys can go play now.

And scene.

I had to chuckle because this conversation illustrates exactly who they are. I love my loud, dramatic, pointer and my counting/math girl. I was so bad at math. She totally had to get it from Mike who was my math tutor my senior year. He was really good at math. Where Katie got the loud voice and need to get all up in people's business I have NO IDEA. ha.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ha ha ha!! Oh my gosh I needed that laugh! I wonder what my kid will do. This morning he was freaking out over a bunny (which calls "Abby"... no, I'm not kidding) that was outside our window. I wonder if we can tell now by their personalities what professions they will go into.... :)