Sunday, February 14, 2010

Let Me Count The Ways...

This is my 20th year as Mike Meeker's valentine. There has been years we have had romantic dinners out, home cooked meals and even one year, we went to McDonalds. We have been apart for several Valentine's Days and have had to celebrate with a phone call and chocolate eaten all alone. My favorite Valentines day was when I was pregnant. We knew it would be our last night out just the two of us for a long time. We got dressed up and went to one of those steakhouses that serve prime beef and charge like $50 for an ala carte steak. We bought a digital camera as our gift to each other so we would be all ready when our two baby girls arrived. This year, we will have a romantic dinner at home and Mike will have three girls as Valentines. I am making his favorite...cioppino with dungeness crab and peel and eat shrimp. In addition, I thought I'd list 20 reasons I am glad he is my Valentine. One for every year I have been lucky enough to have him as my Valentine. Sorry for the sugar shock, but I'm proud to be Mike's wife and I want him and the world to know sometimes. I don't say thanks often enough.

Dear Mikey,

Here are 20 reasons I am glad I am your Valentine.
1. You always let me read in bed with the light on as late as I want.
2. You don't come in the house at night and look around to see if I was productive that day. You are fine if the breakfast dishes are still in the sink as long as the girls are happy.
3. You totally co-parent and support me in our roles as parents. Who knew that WE would never fight about parenting? It's the most important thing to both of us so I thought we would fight a ton because we do about everything else we care about. But so far, so good. I attribute that to you. You are a fantastic Dad and totally involved and you never make me feel like you are doing me a "favor" by taking care of the kids. Our girls are so lucky to have you as their father.
4. You get me water in the middle of the night if I am thirsty.
5. You know how to calm me down if I'm upset.
6. You like T.V and watch chick shows with me.
7. You feel very strongly about the things and people you love. Nobody has to guess how you feel about America, me, the girls, the Olympics, the Steelers, crab and breakfast. Everybody that knows you knows.
8. If you catch my eye across a crowded room you still smile or wink at me.
9. You squabble with me about stupid stuff and then laugh about it.
10. Road trips!!!
11. We both vacation exactly the same way. Low key, relax, no schedule, chill out, happy bliss.
12. You taught me how to be fine with no makeup in a t-shirt and jeans. Sorry that's how I look all the time now.
13. You are loyal.
14. You always listen to my problems and you tell me if I'm wrong.
15. You believe in me.
16. You are fine if my legs are stubly.
17. You kill bugs, spiders and take out the trash.
18. You do all the laundry and are happy about it.
19. You want me to be the happiest I can be. You are fine if I want to have a career or not, as long as I am happy.
20. I always look forward to seeing you when you come home. I count down the time until you are home and everything is right again. When all four of us are together is when I am the happiest.

I love you. Thanks for being my Valentime for the past 20 years.
Love Always,
Aim

No comments: