Sunday, December 6, 2009

It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like - Chaos

Why do I not prepare more for the holidays? I need to start earlier. Much much earlier, so that I don't have the feeling deep in my chest that I have right now. That feeling that says..."Amy you are smoking a very special kind of crack if you think you are going to get it all done." Here's what I have done. Lights up outside: check. Christmas Tree and all decorating supplies out and ready to go: check. Presents for 70% of people bought: check. So I only have to: buy the rest of presents, decorate the tree, wrap 1,347 presents, take girls to see Santa, buy stocking stuffers, bake cookies and bread, have dinner with Grandma Meeker, go to Christmas party at Grandma Bea's senior community, go to Mike's Christmas party, go to dinner at Grandma Houlie's, buy and cook dishes for dinner at Grandmas, Christmas Eve at home, Christmas Day at Mike's parents, finish shopping, pack for a family of 4 for Mexican cruise, gingerbread houses, nails done, get girls hair cut, watch Frosty, Charlie Brown and Polar Express and make sure everything is spit and polished come the 24th. Make sure we are ready to leave on the 26th. Seriously, I am so glad we are going on a cruise this year right after it's all over. It will force us to relax and recover from all the hustle and bustle.

I am concerned but not complaining. I am so lucky to have my family and all of these things to do. There are lots of people who dread this time of year not because of all the activities but because of the loneliness. That would be the worst. There have been moments in the past week that have been wonderful. The excitement on the girls eyes when they got their special snow globes on their beds that officially kick off Christmas at our house, hanging lights with them in Santa hats, having MIKE HOME this year (can I get an AMEN and a HALLELUJAH?). We have had our hot cocoa and looked at lights and have had Christmas music on in the car 100% of the time. We went over to Grandma Bea's apartment at The Meadows today and brought her a wreath for her door and a pink table top Christmas tree with pink lights and purple/hot pink/lime green/turquoise blue ornaments. (Guess who picked out the pink tree?) Even though she acted like it was no big deal, we could tell she was really excited that she had a little tree and a wreath for her door. She was excited for the girls to decorate it with her. And after they were done she moved all the little balls to just where she thought they should go. My mom brought over an extension cord so we could plug it in for her. It was really cute. My Auntie Lori got her this really classy and cool sign for her door that says Count Your Blessings which is awesome because she needs to remember all the ways she's blessed for as long as Alzheimer's will allow her to. So the little sign is below the wreath that I brought and both have gold running through them so they look good together. So all in all, there have been some great moments so far.

Right now, the girls are counting to 100 and then when they are done I will be going in their room to read the The Polar Express while we suck on candy canes. They have their candy nightgowns on and they are so excited to read the book together. This will be the first time we've read the book, I just bought it Friday. If I seem a little frazzled and sort of stressed out, their level of excitement and Christmas joy causes me to remember each day that I need to take a second and just enjoy the season. They'll never have a Christmas again when they will be four. And let me tell you, four year olds are the BEST if you are looking for innocent joy and excitement and loudness. Ear splitting loudness. It's awesome.

Pictures of all of it to follow...

No comments: