Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Different Strokes For Different Folks...

Katie's preschool teacher pulled me aside today when I dropped off the girls. "Amy, I wanted to know if there was anything we can do to include your beliefs and family traditions this Christmas so the girls feel included." I looked at her like she was sprouting antlers from her head and said "say what?" She went on to explain that Katie has been announcing her distinct and varied religious beliefs to the class over the past few weeks. When I asked her teacher what exactly did she tell you? She told me that Katie told her she was "A Jewish Mormon Lover of Christ!" She wanted to celebrate Hanukkah and Christmas and said she was a Jew that loved Jesus. I explained to her teacher that we were just normal Christmas believers, Mary/Joseph/Baby Jesus in Bethlehem, Santa/Reindeer etc. at North Pole, egg nog, stockings hung by the fire, caroling, mistletoe and lots of ham, turkey and fudge. Based on what Katie has been telling her, she was getting ready to break out the feast for Kwanzaa, the dreidel and menorah and candy canes, presents and carols. I told her that I appreciate it, but just the Christmas stuff is needed.



Points to Katie for wanting to encompass and involve all people from all different religions. She's a unifier that one. A little Jewish Mormon Lover of Christ.

1 comment:

Kori said...

JEWISH MORMON LOVER OF CHRIST???

I JUST SPIT ALL OVER THE COMPUTER SCREEN...luckily it is Kara's screen and not mine! HAHAHAHA