Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Magic Dust


Dear Katie and Jessica:

I know I wrote to you on your birthdays and that it wasn't so long ago. But as I watched you walk the hallway of our home tonight, your pajamas seemed too short for your legs and rode up when you lifted your arms. The cadence in which you walked seemed more elongated and the questions you asked seemed more...I don't know...thoughtful. You both cleared your plates tonight without being asked and threw your trash in the garbage. We have moved past bottom wiping, clothes dressing and today you both selected and attached the hair bows you wanted to wear to preschool. I have always heard parents say about their children, "they grow up so quickly, you blink and one day they are in college." So I want you guys to know that I appreciate moments in your life that are not monumental or considered milestones. Throwing your trash away can't compare with the day you took your first step or said Mama for the first time. I know the day you go off on a school bus will be bitter sweet and I will remember it forever. But I want you to know that I will also remember nights like tonight. A Tuesday night in which we had Chicken Sonora from Dinner My Way. I still can't walk from my knee surgery. Dad has a bad cold. And I will remember you both in the half light of the hallway in pajamas that you have outgrown just a bit asking me what I thought your dance teacher will teach you tomorrow at dance class. When I told you she might teach you how to skip on your tip toes, you laughed and said you already knew how to do that and then proceeded to show me as you traveled the rest of the hallway to your bedroom. It is past 11pm. You both should be long asleep by now. But you have been quietly visiting since lights out. I have listened at your door tonight and heard words like "magical" and "ghosts" and "rainbows" and "dancing" and "let's pretend". These are the words of childhood. Pretty soon I will need to teach you more about being alert regarding strangers, body parts that are private, riding your bikes on the sidewalk and why girls are mean at school. With each of these lessons some of the magical dust that covers children gets swept away until one day you are all grown up. When that happens I just need you to know that you guys really were kids once upon a time and I will do my very best to make your childhood awesome and keep the magic dust around for as long as I possibly can.

Love,
Mama

2 comments:

Travis and Marie said...

you can sure make a girl cry. that is so sweet.

The Gibbens said...

You make strangers cry! I check your blog every now and again because I find your humor... well, humorous! This is a great letter to your girls- what a mama! Thanks- (BTW- I'm not a stalker, I'm Marie's sis)