Sunday, June 21, 2009

Dad Day

What would my life be like without fathers in it? On Mothers Day, I was happy to be celebrating motherhood and womanhood in all it's shapes, colors and sizes. Then I went through the last six weeks unable to walk. Suddenly, the word "Fathers" has taken on a whole new meaning. Mike has stepped forward to be all things to all people in an amazing way. He has continued to work three or more days/week, has taken care of the girls the other four days/week and every night. He has provided meals, shuttled the girls to school, dance class, to appointments and has driven me to physical therapy and other appointments. He has bathed them, learned how to do pig-tails, washed clothes, changed sheets, done dishes all while playing with them for what seems to me like endless hours upon hours. Every time I hobble my way out to the family room with my walker, I witness girls laughing, pillows flying, races being raced, games being played, pictures being drawn, playdough being molded, snuggling being had on the couch and snacks being consumed. I think Jessica's gift to Mike for Fathers Day sums up how we all have felt about spending so much time with Mike over the last weeks. She chose a Boston Red Sox baseball hat on it, because it had a letter "B" on it. And when I asked her why she chose that hat she said "Because it stands for "Be Home" like Daddy has been home with us since your operation and I always want him to be home". I could never thank Mike enough for all he has done for us over the past weeks. There are times in the past 17 years that I have thought to myself "how did I get here?" and not in a good way. I think everyone has those moments. But I have had more moments when I have wondered "how am I continuing to fool him into thinking I'm worth it?" I have to say, that I feel like my love for Mike has grown so much in the past few weeks. I guess there's just something about a man in a desert camouflage uniform with an apron on bringing you breakfast in bed that warms my heart!!! I am looking forward to walking again but the girls and I will miss Mike so much when life returns to normal.


And then, I think of my Dad. Anyone who has known me just smiled right now. Everyone smiles when they think of my Dad. His stable influence in my life continues to hugely impact me today. He has helped me so much always, but especially since we moved back to California. Just in the past weeks, he has driven the girls to school, watched them for me, gone to the movies with them, brought me meals, kept the girls (along with my mom) overnight, made sure the girls had shoes that fit, made sure I had everything I needed and is taking the girls on vacation with my Mom this week. My Dad stayed home with me when I was sick as a kid, coached my softball and powder puff football teams, drove car loads of girls to and from the skating rink and slumber parties, was cool enough to drop me off down the street when I was sooooooo embarrassed of him at age 13, cooked countless meals, spent hours playing catch in the yard, drove on countless Sunday drives as a family, took me to a million movies just me and him, helps me with any home project around here that Mike is too busy to do or that happened when he was deployed and he is the best Papa two little girls could ever have. The girls love their Papa so much. They think he is their own personal playmate. Katie always tells me she is going to marry her Papa because he has a truck and he can drive her home and if she gets married to Papa she can live at his house and that is her favorite house in the world. My Dad is just great. I think if you can be great at something, being a great Dad is pretty awesome.

So to all the Dads out there, keep on doing what you do. It matters more than any award at work or sporting event on TV or success at any hobby you might wish you had more time in which to devote. Your kids are paying attention. They'll remember that one time they were sick and you brought them special colored pencils and paper to draw with or that one Valentines Day you bought them a toothbrush with hearts on it or all the nights you bring home a chocolate milkshake with three straws so the three of you can share it. There is nothing that can replace a great Father.

No comments: