Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Repetitive Chaos

My sister in law Amber posted this most beautiful poem on her blog the other day called Sweet Monotony all about the dance you do as a new Mom and how sacred and special that time is. I thought about how much my life has changed since those new days of Motherhood. So I wrote my own version, called Repetitive Chaos to celebrate what my life feels like now. Here is the great poem first, followed by my silly version.

Sweet Monotony
Feeding
Feeding Burping
Feeding Burping Changing
Feeding Burping Changing Cooing
Feeding Burping Changing Cooing Fussing
Feeding Burping Changing Cooing Fussing Rocking
Feeding Burping Changing Cooing Fussing Rocking
Feeding Burping Changing Cooing Fussing Cooing
Burping Changing Cooing Fussing Rocking Sleeping
Changing Cooing Fussing Rocking Sleeping Waking
Cooing Fussing Rocking Sleeping Waking
Fussing Rocking Sleeping Waking
Rocking Sleeping Waking
Sleeping Waking
Waking

Though the order may change,
The motions are the same.Regardless of time,
Regardless of day,
My life
And the life of my baby's
Is made up of the same movements over
and over and over again.
It is exhausting
For both of us.
I sometimes long for a change. . . does she?
But then I remember that Music is made using the same seven notes in variation.
And only twenty-six letters combine to create poems, and plays, and masterpieces.
I realize that monotony can create miracles.
So I will go through the motions with my baby
And we will dance
Through the pages of our own story.

And now for the Amy Meeker version...

Repetitive Chaos
Waking Threatening
Waking Threatening
Late - going to be very late.
Looking and looking. Shoe found.
Looking and looking. Backpack located.
Looking and looking. Teddy Bear wedged in the couch cushions.
Crying. Shouting. Bribery. Treachery.
Promises. Pleading. Speeding.
Cell phone dialing. Excusing lateness.
Lecturing. Lecturing.
Throwing snacks backward. Hoping to hit my target.
Spilling. Wrappers crinkling.
Screeching to a stop.
Unloading. Unloading. Unloading the world.
Drop off. Sigh of relief. Tears of joy.
Running running. Errands too many. Running. Sweating.
Speeding. Cell phone dialing. Back to pick up.
Praying. Praying. Prayers for nap time. Please God nap time.
Thawing, defrosting. Nuking and reheating.
Loud talking. Dinner consumed. Laughing. Spilling.
Wiping. Cleaning. Wiping and cleaning.
Bathing and playing. Splashing and sudsing.
Tangle spray and brushing. Crying and begging.
Lotion rubbing and pajama picking.
Scripture reading, story telling. Prayers praying.
Water. Last minute pee pee. More water.
"I heard a noise." "She's keeping me awake"
Threatening. Not sleeping. Bargaining and warning.
Finishing everything I didn't do during the day.

Though the order may change and the events vary, the motions of the Mom and Preschooler are the same. My life and the lives of my 4 year olds are made up of repetitive chaos that makes me curl into a ball and suck my thumb in the corner. But then I remember that I have less than two years to go until all day school and I vow to cherish these moments. That usually gets me through until 10:32 a.m. Then, it's all sheer luck, caffeine and prayer.

No comments: