Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Thanks Patrick Swayze

I just wanted to give a shout out to Patrick Swayze and say how glad I am that I grew up in the 80's and that he did what he did with his life. I know most girls my age will forever remember him as Johnny, the tough and scrappy dance instructor at Kellerman Summer Camp who took Baby out of the corner in Dirty Dancing. And let me tell you, I loved Dirty Dancing so much that I made every member in my family (Grandmothers and Dad included) go see it with me at seperate times just so I could see it over and over.

However, for me, and this is just me talking, Patrick Swayze will ALWAYS be Orry Maine, the lead character in the 80's miniseries North and South. Seriously people, I could watch this miniseries over and over. I have made Mike watch it many times and he secretly loves it every bit as much as I do. Orry Maine is one of the best characters ever written about or acted in film. Orry is from Charleston and from a wealthy, plantation owning family. He goes up North to West Point, where he meets his best friend for life, Charles Hazard from Pennsylvania. This is before the civil war and the Hazards and Maines become like family as Orry and Charles fight in the war with Mexico. However, the issues facing our country threaten to divide the families. Ultimately, the Civil War starts and Charles becomes a Colonel in the Union Army where as Orry becomes a General for the Confederacy. They eventually face each other on the field of battle and I won't tell you how it ends because hello? If you haven't seen this you NEED TO DO SO NOW. But Orry is everything a man should be and has served as the yard stick on which I judged all boys. It tremendously influenced my life and I will love it and Patrick Swayze as long as I live.

1 comment:

Kori said...

Guess I need to watch North and South again...

Sorry your brother passed away Pony Boy and Soda Pop!