Thursday, July 30, 2009

I don't know that word...

Do you know any ladies in their eighties? Yes. As in like 89, 85 etc. My Grandmothers, bless them, came to the final test in Katie and Jessica's starfish swim class. (I know, you are confused already) Okay pay attention. Katie and Jessica are 4. They like to hang out with their Great Grandmothers on a regular basis. They love old people. So when the grandmas found out today was their final swim class in this level, they asked if they could come watch. So Mom & Dad picked up Grammie Bea from the sorrority house (assisted living), Grandma Houlie drove down from West Sac and off we all went (including Grammie and Papa) to witness the glory that is the triumph of the Starfish.

So I'm sitting there with Grandma Houlie and she mentions she loves the girl's shirts they had on. I explained that they had their swimsuits on under them but these shirts are 50 proof for sunblock so it gives extra protection when they are out in the sun. She stared at me like I was speaking Arabic. She said "I don't know these words." (50 proof to Gram means something entirely different called Brandy) Huh? I tried to explain further "you know Gram, they have 50 times the sun protection so they are safer..." Still nothing. Then she says "you know, there are so many words today and I just don't know what any of them mean." So I said "that's okay Gram, we just are trying to keep them from getting a sunburn and the shirts help that." And she says, "yes, I understand the doctors are now saying you should be aware of the sun." It was then that I just felt it was best to move on.

But it got me thinking about my Grandma's vernacular versus mine. My Grandma uses these words on a regular basis: Hassock, Oleo, Pepsodent, Davenport, Pop and Word Processor. There are so many more but I can't think of them right now. One time, she was watching Katie and Jessica when they were little and Katie pooped. She took her dirty bottom over the sink to rinse it off. I showed her again where the wipes were. She stared at me with the same blank expression. After she left, I realized she had no idea what wipes were. There are so many things like that.

So Gram, next time you hop online (ha ha), you need to familiarize yourself with the following words: Twitter, Facebook, TiVO or DVR, Anthropologie, Bravo TV and Hogwarts. And I'd like to have all of your old jewelry. (sshhhh....don't tell her we now call it vintage!)

No comments: