Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Yesteryear

I remember the Spring of my childhood,
when I was the one in the Easter bonnet.
I liked Now & Laters and Laverne and Shirley.
There was no car to clean out or floor to sweep.
Just tin foil baseball in Grandma and Papa's backyard with Bo.
And my barbies and playing school, always being the teacher.
I should have known pretending to be a grown up was a waste of time.
I'd have plenty of time to be a grown up, why was I in such a hurry?
Now I wish I could pretend to be a kid. I wish I could pretend to be Snow White,
and attend a tea party and eat cookies with pink frosting and sprinkles.
I wish I could watch Strawberry Shortcake and laugh over made up songs about rainbows.
Oh wait a minute...I did all that tonight.
Because I am a mother. I live with five year olds. They are girls.
And life is sweeter this Spring than any Spring of my childhood.
It is good even though it's not sometimes.
I just wanted anyone who cares to know that.

No comments: