Saturday, July 31, 2010

Life Has Been Dry Humping My Face

My Mom is on vacation so I know she won't see the title of this post and call me and ask me why I find the need to be so vulgar. If she did call me however, I would calmly tell her that the reason I needed to be so vulgar in the title of my post is because the only way to explain my life recently is as if the universe is dry humping my face. I know you guys know what I mean.

First, the girls started kindergarten. But it is July, you say, how can that be? Yes, well, that's what I thought too. However our school district has some crazy idea that year round school is a great idea and the girls started kindergarten in July. The ink wasn't even dry on their little baby graduation diplomas from preschool. They had like zero summer break. And back to school. I felt like we all got hit by a truck. I'll do a separate post about the first day because I have pictures and they are darn cute.

Then, after two days of kindergarten we went on vacation. To New York. Once again I let Mike make the flight arrangements. Stupid stupid me. We flew at night, from San Francisco, with many stops. He always does that to save a couple of bucks. We end up spending way more than we saved in parking fees, gas, luggage checking and ham sandwiches at the airport but he feels like he is getting a deal so I guess he's happier in the end. As for us? We are zombies by the time it's all over. We don't even know where we are. Katie and I have gotten really good at sleeping on each other on airplanes and during layovers. We were in New York for both Mike's extended family reunion and to spend time with Rick and Heather's family before Rick leaves on deployment. The girls loved playing with their cousins. We also got to meet my new sister in law to be who we love. I will post more on that later because it is too good of a story and deserves it's own post. It was a great trip. Just long and exhausting.

Then, back to kindergarten we went. Only now, I had missed back to school night so all the other parents were pros and I was a lost and lonely soul, looking like an idiot. I spent the past three nights trying to get the girls the right size of backpacks, homework caught up and reading all about our new school, new teacher, new policies, procedures and schedule. Kindergarten is currently kicking my ass.

The day we returned from our night of never ending airline travel, our good friend Matt came to stay for two nights. Matt is a friend of ours from Mike's residency in Nebraska. He just got back from Afghanistan and came out to see the Bay Area, run a marathon and see a girl. (not in that order) One of my goals in life is to see Matt happily married and raising children. He will be the best Dad in the world. We enjoyed his visit and the girls asked all day long "Does Matt really HAVE to leave?"

So finally... today is the first day where I have my house back to myself, have not changed out of pajamas and am preparing for a much needed nap. When I resurface, I will post amazing stories and pictures. Stay tuned for exciting stuff.

3 comments:

Travis and Marie said...

That is the WORST feeling ever to not know what's going on at your kid's school....and all the other parents do.

Your traveling back east sounds horrid and I would've been in tears by the time I arrived. My kids don't sleep on planes very well. Good thing is - Travis is the opposite of mike - he'll spend the extra $ to make less stops and get there faster! Hopefully it was a fun trip!

natashawernerfamily said...

WOW! After reading that, I feel blessed not resentful that Daryl always has me do things like make flight plans. Of course, now that we have so many kids we'll never fly as a whole family unit again;-)
Amy, you are a great writer! So far I have read only two of your blogs and been highly entertained. I'm going back to read your past blogs and I never do that. Yours are a fun read!

Kori said...

LOL you said HUMP!